Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding noise when crawling at low speeds..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding noise when crawling at low speeds..

guys..

was walking along side my car last night while the mrs was driving up the drive to the house.. and I could hear a soft grinding noise. She wasn't on the brakes, so it wasn't the brakes.. although sounded like possibly the pads were rubbing along the discs.. if that makes sense? and then when down a slight bump I could hear a little thud..

The rear bearings have just been replaced if it helps.. has anybody had this or maybe point me in the right direction?

The car has to go in to get two shock absorbers changed.. could that be linked?

sounds like the pads touching the discs... mine does it sometimes. normally if you press the breaks a bit then release it stops doin it, mush just be the caliper not releasing the pads enough. could be something else though so will wait n see what other people think

Comment

might sound daft but it could be your exhaust. mine makes a wierd noise when driving slow. also if i start the engine a reverse with my window open i get a strong smell of petrol.
      vx want to strip my down but i havent had time to get it done yet.

Corsa VXR now sold

Comment

Originally posted by richie.corsa.vxr View Post
        might sound daft but it could be your exhaust. mine makes a wierd noise when driving slow. also if i start the engine a reverse with my window open i get a strong smell of petrol.
        vx want to strip my down but i havent had time to get it done yet.
        that will just be the auto choke over fueling slightly untill warm.. nothing to worry about i would say.. mine and a mates both do this

Comment

Originally posted by swampyVXR View Post
          guys..

was walking along side my car last night while the mrs was driving up the drive to the house.. and I could hear a soft grinding noise. She wasn't on the brakes, so it wasn't the brakes.. although sounded like possibly the pads were rubbing along the discs.. if that makes sense? and then when down a slight bump I could hear a little thud..

The rear bearings have just been replaced if it helps.. has anybody had this or maybe point me in the right direction?

Mine does this too mate, You running standard brakes? I think its just the pads rubbing on the disks over bumps. Nothing to worry about.

BTW did you get your wheel bearings done under warrenty with the Janspeeds fitted?

Comment

Originally posted by lozavxr View Post
            Mine does this too mate, You running standard brakes? I think its just the pads rubbing on the disks over bumps. Nothing to worry about.

BTW did you get your wheel bearings done under warrenty with the Janspeeds fitted?
            Yeah Loza, standard brakes. I havent got the money to upgrade the brakes, and I think the standards are pretty good.. except for the squeeking noises etc.

And no problems with the wheel bearings on warrenty. They didnt even mention to me about the springs, maybe they didnt notice..

Although they might try and get me to pay for the new shock absorbers when they get changed.. dont know yet..

did you get my PM a few days ago?

Comment

Just in case, check the wheel bolts for tightness they may have settled and become a bit slack.

Comment

Originally posted by oillite View Post
                Just in case, check the wheel bolts for tightness they may have settled and become a bit slack.
                nice one, will check that. thanks mate

Comment

Yeah Loza, standard brakes. I havent got the money to upgrade the brakes, and I think the standards are pretty good.. except for the squeeking noises etc.

And no problems with the wheel bearings on warrenty. They didnt even mention to me about the springs, maybe they didnt notice..

Although they might try and get me to pay for the new shock absorbers when they get changed.. dont know yet..

did you get my PM a few days ago?
                  Mine need replacing I think but was worried about taking mine in with the janspeeds on. Ah well I will take the plunge then I think lol.

I'll check to see if I got your pm now.

Comment

Mines in for this in the morning.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
                    www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

i have this issue when i come down a hill fast then nearer the bottom (after breaking) it makes a wirring/thudding sound.....vahxuall and another garage did full service and diagnostic on it couldn't find nothing wrong.

had new discs and pads since the problem, still happens.

just had milltek exhaust put on and noticed it still yesterday.

it only happens down VERY steep hills at speed tho....

but no1 can find a problem with my car. its been checked over in every sense by vahxuall and another highly recommended garage....

another one of those strange things with the VXR maybe....

Comment

guys..

Sounds like the noise that has been bugging me for ages. Simple to check - jack one side up and spin the wheels round, mine made the slight grinding noise so I'm guessing it's the pads rubbing the discs.

Mine does it on and off though. Thought I read somewhere on here that it could be to do with the compound of the standard pads?

Comment

So even changing of the pads and disk, it'll still make those noises?

Comment

I get grinding noises occasionally, I was told it was just the brakes, and that it is not a safety issue

They also told me a "fix" was being developed, and mine would be changed when it was done.
                            sigpic
                            Mike Hughes

Comment

some pads have a little metal tab on them and when the pad surfaces get low they rub on your disks deliberately to let you know they need changed could it be this?

Comment

Working...
                              X