This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legallity of HID's

Following my enquiry yesterday on 10k HIDs, was searching to find the legallity of HIDs and temperatures/brightness...

i found this:

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
    on http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Call me thick but i cant find an update to this statement... Anyone know of the correct/updated legislation that states they are road legal.....?
    Originally posted by Bobbyp90
    Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
    sigpic
    Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
    South East Regional Organiser

PSN: TomFL12

i think its illegal to fit them to normal headlights need to be a projector headlight to stop the light dazzling over road users, however i wouldnt expect anyone to say anything even at mot time if htey are alligned properly

Comment

There is nothing to state that the use of any HID bulbs in reflector style headlamps is legal. It's a bit of a 'grey area' of the law, ..some cars with them in (the more inconspicuous looking ones, ..ie 4300K, 6000K and with H7R bulbs) pass an MOT and some fail. If you have 10000K bulbs - very blue - in your headlights and your beam pattern is all over the place,..chances are your car would fail its MOT. If you have H7R bulbs (manufactured for use in reflector headlamps) with a Kelvin temperature rating of 4300K - pure white - in your lights and they are correctly aligned, ..your car would probably pass its MOT. x
      sigpic
      Was TV Mag Featured Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition 353, gone but not forgotten. Current car MY15 RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Zanzibar Bronze with Black Pack, Magnetic Ride, 20" Forged OEM Stormer Alloys, Fully Loaded xx

Comment

Originally posted by PaulieMB View Post
        There is nothing to state that the use of any HID bulbs in reflector style headlamps is legal. It's a bit of a 'grey area' of the law, ..some cars with them in (the more inconspicuous looking ones, ..ie 4300K, 6000K and with H7R bulbs) pass an MOT and some fail. If you have 10000K bulbs - very blue - in your headlights and your beam pattern is all over the place,..chances are your car would fail its MOT. If you have H7R bulbs (manufactured for use in reflector headlamps) with a Kelvin temperature rating of 4300K - pure white - in your lights and they are correctly aligned, ..your car would probably pass its MOT. x
        but would say 6000k is more white than 4300 isnt 4300 the standard yellow colour ? i should imagine 6000k h7r should be fine through an mot ?

Comment

6000K is accepted as "white" in pretty much every other use, I'd imagine its the same for HIDs, too.
          sigpic
          Mike Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by DONYULDZ View Post
            but would say 6000k is more white than 4300 isnt 4300 the standard yellow colour ? i should imagine 6000k h7r should be fine through an mot ?
            Not really Bud, ..4300K HIDs are definitely not the standard yellow colour, they are very white and this is the colour temperature of a lot of the factory fitted Xenons (some have 5000K in them too). I have PIAA Halogen bulbs in my high beams and they are rated at 4100K, ..so not as white as my HIDs at 6000K, but not nearly as yellow as the normal Halogens.

I agree totally with what you say about the 6000K H7R's,..they should get through an MOT if the beams are properly aligned. x
            sigpic
            Was TV Mag Featured Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition 353, gone but not forgotten. Current car MY15 RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Zanzibar Bronze with Black Pack, Magnetic Ride, 20" Forged OEM Stormer Alloys, Fully Loaded xx

Comment

http://www.unique-coatings.com/lamin...rtempchart.jpg
              Corsa VXR Nurburgring FOR SALE!!! PM ME

Comment

hid lamps in anything other than a hid designed lamp is illegal and should fail an mot

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/ar...legal-355.html

Comment

Always thought to have hid's you also needed light washers?
                  Not yet a owner of a corsa vxr... Will be come march.. roll on cheap insurance!

Comment

you need the level sensors which fit on the front arms and rear beam because they are self levelling

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
                      Following my enquiry yesterday on 10k HIDs, was searching to find the legallity of HIDs and temperatures/brightness...

i found this:

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
                      on http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Call me thick but i cant find an update to this statement... Anyone know of the correct/updated legislation that states they are road legal.....?
                      If its on that site then its the current version so therefore... illegal
                      2008 - 2011 CORSA VXR - ARDEN BLUE - 18"
                      2011 - 2014 Astra SRI CDTI [150] XP + 18"

2014 -------- Audi S1, Glacier White + Quattro Exterior + other stuff
                      Originally posted by Flinty
                      as with every old lady, you warm her up before letting her have it

Comment

Working...
                      X