X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'D' fit tyres......??

anyone ever heard of these.....??

to cut a long story short -- was on hols in Torquay --- got a screw in the tyre on the edge...so un-repairable...
    local Vaux dealer said they cud not cope with 20" wheels... sent me 2 a local dealer --- they said there were no Pirelli's in the UK....but they cud get a 'D' fit tyre.. i asked wot it was....get ready..;;--!!!!
    told me it was a tyre that had been tested at Vauxhall when they were testing new cars n wheels... only done a few miles on a test machine..then took off and sold in the trade...???!!!
    would manufactures do that...??????
    i told him where 2 get off ....went 100 yards down the road 2 Kwik Fit.. who got me one 4 the next day....job done...!!

just wondered if it was BULL...or true....??

there are loads of places kicking about who sell "part worn" tyres.

These "part worns" can come from all sorts of places. They could have only 1/3 of usable tread left and have come off a crashed car or whatever.

Equally they may have come from somewhere in the trade and are so new they still have the blue and red markings on them etc..

Mate of mine knows a place like this in manchester that flogs tyres like this. Some of them are as good as new !

So yes these sort of tyres do exist, and they will get sold by local small tyre places etc..

Just most peoples image of part worns is horrible old chinese ditch finders with barely any tread on. obviously they sell these as well, but there are loads of tyres the ones you describe too which snobbery aside, will probably be fine to use in an emergency when no conventional new tyres are available due to UK stock shortage.

You wish to consider changing at a later date however, you will never be 100 % sure where they have come from !

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
      ....went 100 yards down the road 2 Kwik Fit.. who got me one 4 the next day....job done...!!
      I'm surprised they didn't insist of selling you four new tyres. I've read (don't know if it's true or not) that if one tyre goes on a 4x4 you should replace ALL of them. Not sure if this will apply to the insignia because it has adaptive 4wd so I'm assuming the computer will sense if one tyre has more more tread than the other three and will compensate accordingly??
      Last edited by John Doe; 10 August 2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
        anyone ever heard of these.....??

to cut a long story short -- was on hols in Torquay --- got a screw in the tyre on the edge...so un-repairable...
        local Vaux dealer said they cud not cope with 20" wheels... sent me 2 a local dealer --- they said there were no Pirelli's in the UK....but they cud get a 'D' fit tyre.. i asked wot it was....get ready..;;--!!!!
        told me it was a tyre that had been tested at Vauxhall when they were testing new cars n wheels... only done a few miles on a test machine..then took off and sold in the trade...???!!!
        would manufactures do that...??????
        i told him where 2 get off ....went 100 yards down the road 2 Kwik Fit.. who got me one 4 the next day....job done...!!

just wondered if it was BULL...or true....??
        Hi there,

Had a puncture myself last week in our VXR Insignia and it was real pain. Just finding the right tyre was hard work ! We could only find Dunlops first of all which we had no intention of fitting (especially just one). Anyway managed to find one and the local Kwik Fit managed to price match it. Still the best part of £300 though !!

Anyway, once it was stressed that they musn't even think about scratching the wheel they did a good job.

We now keep a tyre inflator in the boot that plugs into the cigarette lighter, which may help in some circumstances.

This link may help in the future:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...63b0s340p51125

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireblade900 View Post
          We now keep a tyre inflator in the boot that plugs into the cigarette lighter, which may help in some circumstances.
          Isnt there a tyre inflation kit fitted as standard in the wheel well?

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Working...
          X