This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Questions

My astra is now over 4yrs old and I am on the look out for a new car. I am not sure what to get though. My main concern is I will miss the astra as even though I have had it for a while, there is never a day when I dont drive it without a smile on my face.
    I really need a bigger car and really like the insignia although I have never driven one, only ever been a passenger. One of my other problems is I need a tow car, can a tow bar be fitted to the insignia vxr? Anyone got one fitted (would only fit a detatchable one, preferably hidden when not in use). I dont plan to tow alot but I want to get back into taking my nova to track days which is why I need a tow bar.
    Has anyone gone from an astra to the insignia? How did you find the power difference? I guess the insignia doesnt feel as quick/raw as the astra but on paper its same. Does it really use much more fuel? Over last 20k my trip computer says 26.6mpg average.
    The sensible thing is to get an sri cdti but I think going from the astra to that I might find it a little boring
    Any other info you think is helpful is much appreciated!

Originally posted by doug_sri View Post
    Does it really use much more fuel? Over last 20k my trip computer says 26.6mpg average.
    The sensible thing is to get an sri cdti but I think going from the astra to that I might find it a little boring
    Any other info you think is helpful is much appreciated!
    Over 4k my average is 21.2 but that's mostly urban. Think of the Insignia VXR as a very capable GT, in the original sense of the word. It's a Grande Tourismo, capable of high speeds in comfort over long distances with 4 up and their luggage. Handling is exceptional for a car of its size and weight (like, the same kilos as a 7 series Beemer) but nimble it isn't and it just doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest.

Nevertheless, it's exceptional value for money within the class of cars it compares to. Even it's closest cousin, the new Saab is about £5k more expensive in equivalent spec and, for some reason, slightly slower. The closest comparison is the VW Passat CCGTV6 3.6 and that is very tempting, if boring.

Cheers

AJG
    AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

I went from a stage 3 astra vxr to insignia vxr, but you can not compare the cars. The astra is a hot hatch, where the insignia is more a GT -

1. It is fast, and you do not realise how fast you are going until you look at the speedo. It is very quite, so this does not help.

2. It is very confortable to drive, I have done two very long distances and was fresh at the end.

3. You will be very surprised on how it handles for the size car, the 4 wheel drive hopes alot.

I am currently getting around 25mpg.

Yes, you can add a removable tow bar, minor issue you have to remove part of the rear bummer / spoiler (two screws) but I am sure you can cope.

Comment

Working...
      X