This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre wear !

seeing Mark's reply to the tyre pressure sensor thread reminded me I needed to add something

I agree 39 front and 36 rear are the recommended pressures,

but running at that has worn out my tyres faster than running at the as PDI'd and delivered lower pressures I had on my first set.

the first set were changed at 10K because the fronts were gone, then the rears were still about 1mm from the wear indicators, but it was easier to get them together due to ongoing tyre shortage with these sizes, i was running at 36 front, 33 rear, for that whole time.

at that time I realised my conversion to psi from the recommended KPA figures was wrong somehow,

so put them right at 39 and 36, thinking maybe I'd get a bit more life from the new set (same PZeros) and actually felt a bit silly for wearing them out so quick by running them at the "wrong" tyre pressures

but now its time to change tyres again, but the complete opposite has happened.

my rears are into the wear indicators but the fronts still have about 2mm to go before the wear indicators.

now it could be me or the car or both, and probably is for those that know me and what's been done to my car, will say of course it is.

but the wear has switched around front to rear, and that means I've done the rear tyres in 6.5K, by running them at the correct pressures
    The adventure is over, Blue Beast, gone

Get the Kumo's this time, they're really good & half the price

Comment

Hi Dan I'm confused now about all this tyre pressure, am I running the right psi or not...... 39 fronts 36 rear as stated in the VX handbook, I've been running on this for 4 months and covered about 4k and tyres still seem OK.

But after reading your comments I'm not sure what psi to go for...

Mark.
      Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Comment

Mark,

Don't worry, 39 and 36 are the right ones if you go by the book,

I'm really saying that when I ran lower pressures I think I had better tyre wear,

I also think it understeers more now, but that is probably the extra power as much as the tyre pressures

The wear previously was typical of running under inflated, the outer edges were gone, before the centre,

This time, the edges are fine, the centres have gone first,

I might try 37 front to reduce the understeers, but lower rear tyre pressures on the next set

Comment

Originally posted by xtrem3x View Post
          Get the Kumo's this time, they're really good & half the price
          I'm thinking either Goodyear eagle f1 GSDs or the Michelin pilot supersports, the price is almost 100% different between them as using the autobild tyre tests scores the goodyears come out the best for every category, but the michelins are the newest from what I feel are the best tyre maker out there, so they are very attractive even at £300 each

Comment

I had the fronts replaced when I bought it at 10k miles. I have the ones that came off in my garage and they are about 50% worn only.

The replacements were the Dunlops and 7k miles, they still have more than half the tread left. The rears have done 17k miles and are only about 60% worn.

So either, my (undeliberately) low tyres pressures are helping the wear rate, or I'm not trying hard enough.
            Bluefin Stage 1

Comment

its both

now go out and use those tyres up

out of interest do you use VXR mode much? as that tends to bias the power to the rear so will increase rear tyre wear.

you've done really well to keep them alive that long

I do also think the tyre wear is reduced by running lower pressures,

I would add that it probably increases drag so the fuel consumption goes up, but if tyres last 5K longer then the extra fuel costs are insignificant versus the cost of rubber for these.

I'm not really comparing like for like for the 2 sets of tyres mine has devoured, due to the ongoing work done to my car but I think for reduced wear and better front end grip, a lower pressure is better, next set I will be going for 37 front 33 rear, just my personal preference based on what I've found,

Comment

I'll be honest - I've never used the VXR button. Ok, that's a bit of a lie, but the only time I've used it is when trying to see what difference it makes to power, steering and handling. Since the re-map, it's actually slower with the button pressed, so have no need to use it for road driving.

My average fuel consupmtion over the last couple of months (approx 1000 miles of mainly motorway with some other roads) is 25mpg. Prior to that it was around 22mpg.
                Bluefin Stage 1

Comment

I don't use the VXR button much either, that said I did use it yesterday and overtook about 6 cars in one fast overtake.lol believe me I was hitting 100+ within seconds. I had this **** in a BMW 11 reg 5 series nearly cut me up on the roundabout, I was fuming I hit the VXR button and I was gone, these cars are scary how fast they reach 100mph.
                  But it was great fun and I loved it.
                  Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Comment

Originally posted by DMVXR View Post
                    seeing Mark's reply to the tyre pressure sensor thread reminded me I needed to add something

I agree 39 front and 36 rear are the recommended pressures,

but running at that has worn out my tyres faster than running at the as PDI'd and delivered lower pressures I had on my first set.

the first set were changed at 10K because the fronts were gone, then the rears were still about 1mm from the wear indicators, but it was easier to get them together due to ongoing tyre shortage with these sizes, i was running at 36 front, 33 rear, for that whole time.

at that time I realised my conversion to psi from the recommended KPA figures was wrong somehow,

so put them right at 39 and 36, thinking maybe I'd get a bit more life from the new set (same PZeros) and actually felt a bit silly for wearing them out so quick by running them at the "wrong" tyre pressures

but now its time to change tyres again, but the complete opposite has happened.

my rears are into the wear indicators but the fronts still have about 2mm to go before the wear indicators.

now it could be me or the car or both, and probably is for those that know me and what's been done to my car, will say of course it is.

but the wear has switched around front to rear, and that means I've done the rear tyres in 6.5K, by running them at the correct pressures
                    First off: go with harder tyres. The Pirellis are about 220 tread wear rating (from memory). It's stamped on the sidewall. FYI competition tyres are classed as below 140 and the Kumhos mentioned later are about 360.

Next, I guess the amount of fettling you've done will significantly alter the tyre wear and the wear patterns. I ran my Pirellis hard at the front to lift the outer edges, which seemed to work but rears and fronts were pretty much shot all round at 8,500 miles.

There's a bit of debate about the drive split on VXR and Sport modes over standard. I don't think it's what was stated on the original specs for the car at launch. I know mine is permanently on 'Sport' (don't like the kickback on throttle lift in VXR) but this didn't seemd to wear the rears quicker than the fronts.
                    AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

Working...
                    X