X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne, Toffee, Brembo, all say the same, SENSIBLE thing,

just don't go beyond 3......

I don't even know the full list, all I know it took a year to put it all back together

you cannot overcome that the Insignia is 2 tons of metal with far too many GM components fighting for their chance in the spotlight!!

I was going to say fifteen minutes of fame, but the average waiting time was about a month with a range of 1 week to 9 months for parts for the Insignia.

an intercooler is a sound investment, these cars have a very narrow range of operating conditions when they actually make full-boost, so anything you do to help with that will allow more and sustained performance.

all in all, 400 is a sensible BHP number considering the limitations of using that power, and anyway even at it's best I couldn't pass 300bhp corsas or 400 bhp Astras, in fact they had every chance of getting past me due to power to weight.

and for me while I had a stage 3++ Insignia, I also had to have 2 other really nice cars in the time I had the Insignia, both with less power but that are far faster and more likely to do it everyday to keep me mobile.

as for springs, the KW or the EIbachs are both very good

OH,

happy new year everyone, I heard my name being mentioned....
    The adventure is over, Blue Beast, gone

Comment

Originally posted by DMVXR View Post
      Wayne, Toffee, Brembo, all say the same, SENSIBLE thing,

just don't go beyond 3......

I don't even know the full list, all I know it took a year to put it all back together

you cannot overcome that the Insignia is 2 tons of metal with far too many GM components fighting for their chance in the spotlight!!

I was going to say fifteen minutes of fame, but the average waiting time was about a month with a range of 1 week to 9 months for parts for the Insignia.

an intercooler is a sound investment, these cars have a very narrow range of operating conditions when they actually make full-boost, so anything you do to help with that will allow more and sustained performance.

all in all, 400 is a sensible BHP number considering the limitations of using that power, and anyway even at it's best I couldn't pass 300bhp corsas or 400 bhp Astras, in fact they had every chance of getting past me due to power to weight.

and for me while I had a stage 3++ Insignia, I also had to have 2 other really nice cars in the time I had the Insignia, both with less power but that are far faster and more likely to do it everyday to keep me mobile.

as for springs, the KW or the EIbachs are both very good

OH,

happy new year everyone, I heard my name being mentioned....
      Nice to see you popping in Dan. Happy New Year to you too....

Comment

thanks Steven

was having a new year tidy up of my favourites and also having just SORN'd the Insignia, rather than get a treatened fine as the 6months tax I put on it before selling it have expired and it is not currently taxed or showing as having a new owner so thought I'd see what was happening here

Comment

The BMW still ok?

Comment

yes, got the winter tyres on it this week, so almost a year round car

was at Silverstone late last year - chilly but brilliant fun

Comment

Still undecided what to do car wise. Roads up here are shocking. Dirty diesel next I think.

Comment

If you have the cash then the parts are available to have a build done properly, there is a shed load of things that require looking at, I know of this block going upwards of 600bhp, probably a lot more than this

However to do this you would really need to love the car and want to keep it long term lol

Stick a cooler, water rad, 3" zorst, brake upgrade, suspension upgrade and it will be sweet, if you wanted to go big you need to look away from mainstream tuners and speak to others in the know who would have the time to do such a build
                sigpic

Comment

you need a helicopter or snowmobile up there don't you?

can't argue with 30 ish mpg these days,

I saw a really nice 635d the otherday....

after 14k miles at 18.5mpg of Vpower in 6 months I think I'll join you sooner rather than later

Comment

Building a strong engine is only part of it Stew. It's the weakness of a lot of other components that's the problem. A stand alone ECU can be fitted and Tuned accordingly but as Dan has experienced it's only the start of the problems. S3 is reliable and fast enough for it....

Comment

it wasn't the engine (bottom end and chains aside) that was the issue with mine,

it was the AWD system and some other minor parts that just couldn't cope,

I agree there is a 600bhp SAAB out there with the same lump, but it's FWD only from memory and that's what kept me going, just too many GM parts let the side down along the way to stick with it in the end.

Comment

I only popped in to say Happy New Year, and I'm right back in there.........

Comment

Originally posted by DMVXR View Post
                          you need a helicopter or snowmobile up there don't you?

can't argue with 30 ish mpg these days,

I saw a really nice 635d the otherday....

after 14k miles at 18.5mpg of Vpower in 6 months I think I'll join you sooner rather than later
                          Still can't get mine above 20 mpg. I do like the BMW range at the moment. My friend has a new 3ltr Jag Diesel. Went out in it the other day and was impressed but wouldn't have one. Need to pluck up the courage to sell the Insignia first....

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee VXR View Post
                            Still can't get mine above 20 mpg. I do like the BMW range at the moment. My friend has a new 3ltr Jag Diesel. Went out in it the other day and was impressed but wouldn't have one. Need to pluck up the courage to sell the Insignia first....

I had a 320d the brand-new one as a loaner the other day,

60mpg on the trip when I collected it, I thought, no-way that's real,

gave it back 24hrs later on 62mpg!!!!

only to and from work but I get 18 from the M3 on the same route and doing the same speed

my MD has just chopped in his 3.0 D XF as he had a new XF 2.2D as a loaner and doubled his mpg on that from 26 to 55!!!, not a sporty car though....

Comment

was about to apologise to the OP, for us 2 wandering off with a chat

but then I remember this is VXRonline,

nothing is OT here

saying that, please excuse me, I'm not here much anymore

Comment

Decisions decisions eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X