This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurgling!

Simple I know, but, noticed when switching engine off can hear gurgling from expansion tank from inside the car.

Lift bonnet and can hear it for cpl of minutes then goes. Never heard before. No temp issues, no evidence of leakage, no dreaded swarf.

Am I being paranoid ?

Thanks
    Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

Yes, but there were some issues with the expansion tank sealer cap. Usually mainfests itself by water reserve getting too low and warning on dash. If the cap isn't sealing then the pressure in the expansion tank is low so the water may boil.

Easy fix. Put the valium away!
    AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

We had the same on our Signum once, I slowly opened the Cap and let it run to make sure there was no air in the system and it is not done it since.
      Chilli Orange Corsa Nurburgring, No. 011

sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm. Gurgling still there, no noticible reduction in coolant and temps appear normal.

Are the header tank caps std insignia ones or vxr specific ?

Thanks

Comment

Silly question I know. Does everyone have a hole top dead centre at the rear of the expansion tank that water comes out of?

Comment

The Caps are standard Vauxhall ones mate and they usually around £10-£15 a cap. Also the hole you are on about, there should be an outlet pipe which has a rubber pipe on it that runs behind the Expansion tank which lets pressure out as you unscrew the cap. Any other holes should not be there. Can you get a piccy of your bottle as I am not 100% if the bottles are slightly different to the Vectra's/Signum's

sigpic

Comment

There is a pipe but not on this hole. Too close to bulkhead to take pic.

Comment

Sounds as though it may be the pressure release pipe. This is the bottle we have on the Signum/Vectra V6T with the pressure pipe running behind the bottle and along the bulk head.
                http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david_v...g/IMG_4679.JPG

sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

It's different to that. Has the overflow pipe but this is a hole above that pipe so assume it's failed.

Comment

I had a new header tank.

Comment

Originally posted by caspy View Post
                      Thanks.

It's different to that. Has the overflow pipe but this is a hole above that pipe so assume it's failed.
                      No worries mate, glad I could help where I could.

sigpic

Comment

Mine use to do the same but stopped on its own.

Comment

Well, the header tank has a internal tube at top that runs from where cap goes to back of tank. So haven't changed header that thought had hole in. Have changed cap, but sti have pressure release through this hole. Not losing fluid, but always a concern on one of these. Anyone else have pressure release after running when turn engine off?

Comment

am pretty sure if you follow that pipe it comes from the turbo housing,

As far as I know
                            It is there to overcome the increasing pressure from water that is around the turbo boiling after you switch off

Used to hear mine bubbling a bit
                            Last edited by DMVXR; 2 January 2014, 03:03 PM.
                            The adventure is over, Blue Beast, gone

Comment

Working...
                            X