This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick siggy

Driving along today and the car loses power and brings up service engine soon . Stopped and waited a few minutes and re started the car and everything was fine but the message came back up on the dash so I rang vx and got the car up straight away to get it sorted. They put the car on the diagnostic machine and got the code dtc po234 possible swirl flaps broke in turbo .They say the car probably needs a new inlet manifold also and quoted £1564 quid to fix has any one ever herd of this happening before .The car is 2010 with 37k on it and bog standard.

P0234 is an overboost fault... Could be a million things! Might just be the MAP sensor or another pressure gauge, it might be the waste gate actuator, it might be a throttle body issue - the list is very long.

Actually, I am quite surprised to hear it has swirl flaps in the first place! First time I've ever heard of it! I've only ever seen them on diesel cars - and only because we were yanking them out of the intake plenum. I think you need to go back to your garage... Looking at the exploded drawings, I can't seem to find anything suggesting it has swirl flaps.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Comment

My first thought was a sensor and if something was broke in the turbo would there not be some sort of rattle as the car drove home perfectly although never over 3000 revs

Comment

Sounds like the chains mine used to do this then limp mode.

The P008 or P018 are normally the magic code for the chains though........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the turbo is bust, it definitely wouldn't overboost... And ohh yes look out for P008 and 18... I've had them and it got pretty expensive for the dealership i got it from.

Comment

Sounds like the boost pressure solenoid is at fault. The same issue crops up from time to time in vectra chat, I got one for £12 from Vauxhallworldparts.

I've never seen p0234 linked to chain failure the most common cause of the fault on vectras is an iffy tms map

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback I'll wait to after Christmas and see if I can get a second opinion , problem is I'm in northern Ireland and don't know anyone over here only the dealers who could work at a vxr just my luck as I hv the car over 5 years now and was going to change to a new one in the new year

Comment

I'd try the solenoid and the MAP sensor first. Both are pretty cheap and easy to replace. My old Siggy diesel had a faulty map-sensor and it did exactly what you describe. Cost less than 50£ including labour to replace - it is worth a shot!

Comment

Cheers mate I'll give that ago first and let use know how I get on

Comment

Originally posted by william fry View Post
                    Thanks everyone for the feedback I'll wait to after Christmas and see if I can get a second opinion , problem is I'm in northern Ireland and don't know anyone over here only the dealers who could work at a vxr just my luck as I hv the car over 5 years now and was going to change to a new one in the new year
                    Hi William

Charles Hurst Belfast on Boucher Road seem to know the VXR's pretty well. There have been cases of delamination of the dual wall manifold causing debris to lodge in the turbo, so that could be why a replacement manifold was suggested. Only way to know for sure is to physically inspect the turbo.
                    AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

Originally posted by AJG View Post
                      Hi William

Charles Hurst Belfast on Boucher Road seem to know the VXR's pretty well. There have been cases of delamination of the dual wall manifold causing debris to lodge in the turbo, so that could be why a replacement manifold was suggested. Only way to know for sure is to physically inspect the turbo.
                      I was thinking the same but it was the inlet they recommend changing not the exhaust

Comment

I thought it was the exhaust manifold which had a tendency to delaminate? Also, would that cause overboost? I'd think it would result in underboost as the turbine will be ripped apart and thus the compressor can't provide sufficient boost.

Comment

I think from memory the service bulletin does say p0234 can be present on break up of the exhaust manifold lining

Comment

Originally posted by vxrossco View Post
                            I think from memory the service bulletin does say p0234 can be present on break up of the exhaust manifold lining
                            Can you post up the service bulletin if you have it?

Comment

Found this m8, it could be just that simple

Insignia, Astra-J 2010 – A16LET Engines

Engine Jerking in 1st and 2nd Gear, Sometimes P0234 and/or P16F3 Set in ECU
                              Customer complains of engine jerking during tip in / let off in 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes SVS also illuminates and trouble code P0234 and/or P16F3 are stored in ECU. Customer may also complain of a shift flare during downshift.

This is caused by a software weakness.
                              In case of customer complaint program the ECU with the latest software version available on TIS2Web since December 2009 and May 2010 for Astra-J and May 2010 for Insignia.
                              The updated software has been introduced in production as of December 2009/May 2010 for Astra-J and May 2010 for Insignia.
                              Vauxhall Insignia VXR 2.8T V6 4X4 VXR SuperSport Nav Saloon 2010 4d

Comment

Working...
                              X