Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP Warning Light

Hi,

I was driving yesterday and the Service ESP light came on my dash. It felt very shakey, and was not running on full power. So I checked all my gauge pressures on my screen, and the boost pressure wasn’t registering, but then it went off, but then has come back on. Can anyone give any advice please? (Please don’t tell me it’s the turbo, and just a dodgey sensor or something)

Also, I am currently 340miles from home so I am limited to what I can do and where I can go!!

Thanks for any help and advice!

Is it still here after restart ?
    Could be a small overboost then it is in limp mode until fault code are cleared...

or something else...

We can only tell with DTC codes

Comment

It was on this morning when I first started it up, but went off after a minute and hasn’t, been back on. The boost gauge is back on, but I can still feel it lagging a little bit, but just taking it steady, so touch wood it hasn’t been back on!

Thanks!!

Comment

could it not be a faulty ABS sensor , these are more often than not hooked into the traction control systems so can cause issues if failing

Comment

Cheers guys! Hopefully will hold out till I am back home and get my garage to have a look!

Comment

a code read would be very handy pal

Comment

Did you do some “spirited” driving when it happened? The brembos are not the worlds best brakes for heavy use (which seems odd on a 2t, 325 bhp car). I had the exact same symptoms after af good thrashing. I braked from 200 kph to around 60 kph and the car had significant lag and heavy shaking and the ESP lamp came up. Limped home, limped to the local Opel garage next morning (2 km) but before I reached the workshop, the light had gone out and the code disappeared and no shaking. The mechanics came to the conclussion that one of the pads had seized up due to the heavy braking.

The slight lag you feel could either be the pad still sticking a bit, or just the psychological effect messing with you

Anyway, I only experienced it once and the car never complained again.
              2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Comment

I wasn’t hammering it, but I had to brake hard, so might have been that! It hasn’t been on again today, so touch wood it was just that! Thanks again!! The beast lives on

Comment

I reckon the problem with these Brembo's is the pad material is too thin and cant dissipate the heat generated and obvs if your pads are say , half worn , the problem is even worse , they overheat and rattle against the disc till they cool sufficiently , I guess the cure is higher temp pads but they tend to be crap from cold

Comment

Originally posted by Dalle1985 View Post
                    The brembos are not the worlds best brakes for heavy use (which seems odd on a 2t, 325 bhp car). I had the exact same symptoms after a good thrashing. I braked from 200 kph to around 60 kph and the car had significant lag and heavy shaking and the ESP lamp came up.
                    Yep, the Brembos do that after a good thrashing; in my case the Nordschleife. The vent holes become blocked with brake dust causing overheating and the callipers to lock. First reported on here way back in 2010 by one of the first owners http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...tilated-brakes. Been a recognised problem ever since.
                    AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

Yeah it come back on Wednesday after a long journey of windy roads down Cornwall, but went off yesterday, I think it is the brakes!!

Comment

Originally posted by AJG View Post
                        Yep, the Brembos do that after a good thrashing; in my case the Nordschleife. The vent holes become blocked with brake dust causing overheating and the callipers to lock. First reported on here way back in 2010 by one of the first owners http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...tilated-brakes. Been a recognised problem ever since.
                        Not a nice feeling at all! The discs also have a tendancy to ripple Because of the ventilation holes clogging up and despite being free floating, mine had warped when I had them replaced (and the discs only lasted 40k km).

I just took the M135i through Europe from Denmark, all the way through Germany (Autobahn!), into Austria (Grossglockner, Gerlos strasse and Passo Stalle), on to Italy/Switzerland (Stelvio anyone) and down through Italy... so some really serious driving roads. I know the car is quite a bit lighter, but though the brakes have incurred some serious beating and sustained abuse for some good stretches and still, the brakes never faded and still feels rock solid. I didn’t think the Brembos were that bad when I had the car but I have to admit, that I am quite surprised how much better a standard set of BMW discs/pads are compared to something from a company famed for their Brakes.

I would still consider a new OPC if Opel/PSA decide to do one, but I really hope they will look for inspiration on how to do brakes somewhere else than with themselves! My current discs have done 70k km and still have another 20-30k in them and they only cost half of the OPC Brembos!
                        2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

Comment

Yeah I’ve narrowed it down to the brakes, I had an advisory on the brake pads been low on MOT so gunna get them changed and hopefully that sorts it! Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                          X