This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia wins european Car of the Year

In one of the hardest-fought contests in recent years, Vauxhall’s Insignia has taken the honours as 2009 European Car of the Year, polling an impressive 321 votes.
    The 59-strong jury of senior motoring journalists from 23 European countries voted the Insignia first, with the Ford Fiesta and Volkswagen Golf coming in second and third respectively.
    Steve Cropley, editor-in-chief of Autocar, COTY’s British-based sponsoring magazine said: "We are delighted to be able to deliver good news at such a tough time. The market’s the toughest we’ve seen for 20 years, but nothing alters the fact that the Insignia is a great car…. it deserved to triumph and it did."
    Bill Parfitt, Chairman and Managing Director of General Motors UK, was equally encouraged by the win: "This is great news for GM/Vauxhall and its employees, suppliers and retailers. Vauxhall has made great strides in recent years, particularly in design and dynamics, and the Insignia illustrates what we’re capable of achieving. It offers great quality and value in a prestige package that will provide an exceptional ownership experience to our customers."
    This year, 37 cars were put forward for COTY, with just seven short-listed for the ultimate award, which represents the most outstanding car launched in the last 12 months. Each contender must be on sale in at least five European countries.
    Vauxhall unveiled the Insignia at this year’s British International Motor Show, where its sporty silhouette, class-leading aerodynamics and innovative technology earned it praise from customers and media alike.
    The Insignia’s triumph marks the third COTY accolade for Vauxhall. In 1985, the Astra won the title, followed two years later by the Carlton/Omega.

Well done to everyone at Luton and at Opel

Saw my first one in the flesh yesterday, and got to admit that the interior andc overall quality is "light years" ahead of the Vectra and quite a lot of the competition too...

Any news on the 2.9V6CDTI Stu? as i see the 2.0CDTI is from the same GM/Fiat stable as the 1.9 which is great news, as we should have a system available for release very soon ... which should get rid of most of the Euor 5 clatter

Comment

Always amazes me that the 2009 year award is gvien in 2008

Great news IMO, only surprise for me was thats it been that long since Vauxhall won it? Some of the later stuff is brilliant, surprised its not won stuff in recent years.

Can't wait until we get ours.

Comment

2008 Fiat 500
        2007 Ford S-max
        2006 Renault Clio
        2005 Toyota Prius
        2004 Fiat Panda
        2003 Renault MÉgane
        2002 Peugeot 307
        2001 Alfa Romeo 147
        2000 Toyota Yaris
        1999 Ford Focus
        1998 Alfa Romeo 156
        1997 Renault MÉgane Scenic
        1996 Fiat Bravo / Brava
        1995 Fiat Punto

A very long time since Vauxhall won.
        Last edited by jam; 17 November 2008, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Great news, and well deserved imo. Had a day with a 2.0 SRi press car a few weeks ago and the more I sit in it the more I like it.

Comment

Well ifd im honest i think the car is awful , it looks wrong and the shape to me just didnt feel right..

UNTIL

I saw it at Bluewater yesterday with my son in spangly lights and deep black.....Christ what a car , i was overawed at its beauty , honestly i was shocked how good it looked in the flesh , it looked so much more refined and classy and earwigging on the general public perusing it i would say audi , mercedes , bmw was being mentioned a few times so maybe this is the move into the upper brands that Vauxhall has been striving for and maybe succeeding...

Welldone from a fussy guy...
            HeavenlyDetail
            Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post

from a fussy guy...
              No mate, I wont have that said

Comment

Roll on the VXR .... that will be special

Comment

Andrew English, Daily Telegraph

"It is also one in the eye for those who have suggested that General Motors should be allowed to die because it no longer produces competitive products compared to the Japanese, Germans and Koreans. That is simply not true. Insignia is a more-than-worthy 2009 Car of the Year and it has taken on and beaten off Far Eastern and German cars to take this title.
                  "The significance for General Motors is that the Insignia is based on a new chassis floorpan, which will underpin cars produced all around the globe. Buicks in China, Chevrolets in Korea, Saturns in North America and Vauxhalls in the UK will use the chassis and the fact that Insignia is such a first-rate product bodes well for all of us."

Well done to Luton man Malcolm Ward for the exterior design

Last edited by Insignia VXR; 18 November 2008, 01:14 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think i'll end up getting one of these in a year or 2. The VXR version

Comment

Just seen and sat in one today for the first time at the Bullring Birmingham. I agree, it really does look classy.

This was an Elite in "technical grey" and it looked the bees knees as the paintwork is mega glossy. It struck me how subtle the curves are in the nose and bonnet but it works!

The door blade is superb and the tailgait very smooth. It was a Saloon, and I was pleased to see the boot cant bang at either end of its motion path.

Definately getting one, but not sure about colour choice. I want the wheels to contrast nicely to the paint, so a dark choice (ie. not silver or gold) but this dark grey was really luxurious-looking and is as good in the flesh as in the brochure.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Insignia View Post
                        Just seen and sat in one today for the first time at the Bullring Birmingham. I agree, it really does look classy.

This was an Elite in "technical grey" and it looked the bees knees as the paintwork is mega glossy. It struck me how subtle the curves are in the nose and bonnet but it works!

The door blade is superb and the tailgait very smooth. It was a Saloon, and I was pleased to see the boot cant bang at either end of its motion path.

Definately getting one, but not sure about colour choice. I want the wheels to contrast nicely to the paint, so a dark choice (ie. not silver or gold) but this dark grey was really luxurious-looking and is as good in the flesh as in the brochure.
                        This is the same colour and spec I have on order. What interior colour trim did it have? I've gone for black leather, but I'm still not 100% sure if I end up with fake wood or not. From what I've read I think it has fake wood, but the Insignia micro site shows it with a plain grey trim.

Comment

well done Vauxhall / Opel !!!

Comment

Hi, the one I saw was with beige leather interior and the wood effect. You will love the colour. Looks better than equivalents from BMW and Ford due to the smooth curves which reflect the light nicely instead of harsh angles.

Not been able to find any photos of the black leather interior but yes, I think it also has the wood effect panels.

Comment

Working...
                            X