Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 4 haldex service "how too"

I carried out this service this afternoon inc rear diff
    you will need : new filter , seal and oil , 1/4 drive socket set ,3/8 ratchet and 6" extension bar , 1/2 socket set , decent set of alun keys , drain tub , a way of refilling ( I used a hand primer ) , some rags
    1.raise the car up at the back ( I used axle stands , be sure not to use the subframe to support the car )
    2. remove rear half of the zorst
    3. using an 18mm socket & drive ( buzby gun if you have one ) , drop the x4 sub frame bolts & the x2 diff bolts
    ( this will give you ample room to access the 10 4mm hex bolts that hold the filter in place ) at this point undo the larger hex refill plug but don't remove it just yet
    4. put drain tub under filter housing cover , remove 10 bolts using Alun key or 1/4 with hex attachment if you have them , allow to drain thoroughly & remove the cover , there is a breather pipe at the top left corner , leave it attached and dry the cover in situ
    5. clean any metal swarf that's collected in the bottom of the housing with a rag & swap the filter for a new one & also swap the seal for a new one
    6. once dry replace cover and tighten x10 bolts evenly ( they don't need to be mega tight 5lb or there abouts is the official torque setting )
    7 . you are now ready to refill but at this point I tightened up the x6 18mm sub.f bolts back up as access to the filler plug is easy with the sub.f in its correct position , you may need a separate jack for this operation ?
    7.5 refit the exhaust
    8. the beauty of this GM version of the Gen4 is there is only a refill hole so when you pump in the fresh oil , its impossible to over fill it , so fill it till it spills over a little and then replace the plug , at this point you have a choice , I chose to drop the car down and run it up the road , cycling thru sport and VXR modes a few times , then once back I checked the level , it need another 50ml of fluid just to top the level off , OR raise the front of the car aswell and do the same thing in situ
    9. REAR DIFF , using a 3/8 drive with 6" extension and a drain tub , undo the diff drain plug & the refill plug , clean thoroughly as they are magnetic and will be covered in metal swarf , once fully drained , replace drain plug and fill till it overflows a little then replace filler plug , again cycle the diff using sport and VXR buttons , the top up if needed
    10. make a note of the mileage so you can keep the service interval correct
    There , All done !
    I hope some of you will find this " how too" useful , it really isn't as difficult as it appears with a minimal amount of kit needed to carry it out
    cheers
    Bembo

Good job, there is a decent video from a Saab owner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsighGggo8M

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

yes pal , ive watched it but the saab has a different exhaust from what I can tell , on those you don't need to move it to carry out the work

Comment

Originally posted by bembo449 View Post
        yes pal , ive watched it but the saab has a different exhaust from what I can tell , on those you don't need to move it to carry out the work
        That's good to know, hopefully just about to have mine serviced at my cousin's garage

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Working...
        X