This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPS Failure?

Right, my steering has been felling like its been pulling to the left the past two or three days, i just thought tracking due to the crap roads up here.............today however it started to make a weird noise, indescribable without sounding like a twt and at a set of traffic lights i stopped and as i started to pull away the eps light came on and the steering was solid! so as you do ( its a man thing....''i can fix this'') I turned the ignition off started car and it was ok, well i say ok its still making the crazy, annoying noise and just doesnt seem right!

Just wondering if any of you guys have experienced it, and a cure if you did.

I still have warrenty on my car its not manufacturers but i recieved 6mth when i bought it, problem is, it doesnt cover modified from standard cars...........doh...... i have just put my springs on and a custom air intake (similar to rikz) so should i revert to standard call them up play dumb or just take the hit?

Ball ache, at least its not my gearbox, a mate has a corsa vxr and its on its third box and second rebuild

All help/advice greatly recieved!

Originally posted by merv-vxr View Post
    Right, my steering has been felling like its been pulling to the left the past two or three days, i just thought tracking due to the crap roads up here.............today however it started to make a weird noise, indescribable without sounding like a twt and at a set of traffic lights i stopped and as i started to pull away the eps light came on and the steering was solid! so as you do ( its a man thing....''i can fix this'') I turned the ignition off started car and it was ok, well i say ok its still making the crazy, annoying noise and just doesnt seem right!

Just wondering if any of you guys have experienced it, and a cure if you did.

I still have warrenty on my car its not manufacturers but i recieved 6mth when i bought it, problem is, it doesnt cover modified from standard cars...........doh...... i have just put my springs on and a custom air intake (similar to rikz) so should i revert to standard call them up play dumb or just take the hit?

Ball ache, at least its not my gearbox, a mate has a corsa vxr and its on its third box and second rebuild

All help/advice greatly recieved!
    intersted in the outcome of this,mine has recently developed a pull to the left which i put down to tracking,ill watch with interest how you get on,good luck
    Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

Comment

Mine does it every now and then its the stearing rack the are prone to failiure its not just the vxrs all mervs suffer with it I'm not sure if the later mervs had different racks on but I'm sure vx will let you know I have not heard of a total failiure tho just turn the car off then on again always sorts mine out
      sigpic

Comment

i had steering column relaced and drive shaf seal dne and was fine after if that helps
        VXR8 LS2 6.0 Auto... Nickel silver build 0087

Comment

Ive been told by my dealership that with me having the "XP" model that the steering rack is uprated due to the 17"s been on. Apparently its the same as the Vxrs.

So if you have a normal meriva and want to put 17's on then you have to have the uprated rack or the tyres will rub when on full lock... that was what i was told anyway by a vx mechanic

Comment

Cheers Kirky, Dave mines a vxr but good info!

Anywho, called my local vx dealer today and good news is its a recall so is being repaird on monday free of charge The receptionist on the phone was trying to tell me it was covered by warrenty, i let her think i believed her but before i hung up i asked ''so its a recall then'' and she stuttered and stammered then said yes it is!

So there you have it if you have any steering related issues call your local dealer and get it fixed free of charge! As its a RECALL! lol

Comment

Another quick update! Took car to my local dealer today, got a phone call around lunch time.......''Hi Mr Mitchell, just to let you know the 'part' that needs replaced isnt covered under warrenty'' ''my car has'nt got warrenty'' '' Yes it does Mr Mitchell, there is a 6 month warrenty on it'' ......at this point im raging as they have been rumaging around in my car, in the boot.....in my owners pack!!!! I will jump to the good bit..... '' Ah ok so what part is it exactly that needs replaced'' '' the steering column'' so i say '' this isnt the RECALL then?'' ''No Mr Mitchell'' So i told her to go and find out what the recall is.....''Mr Mitchell im sorry but it IS the column thats the recall'' So i tell her that i know this as im a vauxhall enthusiast and im a member on several forum's, she aptly said '' Im going to order the part now Mr Mitchell and you will get your car back tuesday evening/wednesday morning.

That isnt the entire convo but you get the idea!

Im rather Gutted as the cost for the column is £470 plus vat plus labour so your looking at upwards of £600 and if i hadnt the balls to say i would have been paying or the warrenty would have but i think its a shame that this sort of thing goes on!! Not only that many people ( most of which are elderly) who have meriva's will be getting robbed due to little knowledge! Due to it being a meriva wide issue not just a vxr but every model!

Comment

Working...
              X