This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running on 3 cylinders

Can anyone help, driving home from work yesterday, and suddenly my car started running ruff as a dog, I've changed the plugs with no joy, do you think I Should get a new coil pack which looks to be in good condition?? A friend of a friend has said it could be piston 4, but surely it would smoke if this was the case, any advise would be much appreciated, many thanks damian
    Last edited by fgrc76; 29 June 2011, 12:58 PM.

My corsa didnt smoke mate, would try coil pack first or if you know of anyone who could compression test it for you ?

Comment

Piston 4 doesn't just appear like that its a gradual change which starts when the engines cold only initially.

Seems to me more like you're in limp mode for some reason, I'd just go speak to a dealer.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'll pop down to my local dealer n see if they can advise, what do you mean by limp mode? Cheers

Comment

Should of said before, I had only done about 2 miles, so engine would of still been cold,

Comment

Yeah but the piston 4 is just spluttering at first start or rough idle with in 2 mins it will go away, you'll have to have it for a few weeks before it becomes bad all the time with poor performance.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

any lights up on the dash?

could be a number of things buddy,if all fails get a compression test done and that will either confirm or prove its not the piston or rod

Comment

Hope this isnt anything to serious mate,good luck getting it sorted.
                Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

Comment

Had a compression test done and all is good, so I'll get a new coil pack tomorrow, fingers crossed that's the problem, cheers for the help, damian

Comment

All running back to normal, it was the coil pack.

Comment

Working...
                    X