X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apexi filter fitted!

Fitted the Apexi filter yesterday... the sound is incredible
    Just tap the throttle and it goes woooooosh pssscchhhh. You can definitely hear the blow-off valve - trust me, there is no need for fitting one that dumps in free air!

Funny thing though, at the first road test I felt it didn't overboost as much as it used to with the stock airfilter box (enourmous filter inside, btw).
    This morning the boost readings seemed normal... peaking at 1.3 - 1.4 bar, but will test thoroughly the next couple of days, maybe even try swapping filters back.

As goes for fitting, it was pretty easy.
    1) Disconnect mass air sensor from the stock airfilter box
    2a) Open and remove the top part of the stock airfilter box
    2b) Leave the bottom part of the stock airfilter box in place (this is where the unfiltered air is drawn in, so don't worry about leaving it open)
    3) Connect the new Apexi air filter to the mass air sensor

Step 3 was a bit of a puzzle, since the Apexi filter has a 76 mm flange and the mass air sensor is approx 70 mm. I had to use 2 overlapping silicone tubes...

EDIT: Here is a picture.
    I have discovered that the cold air tube running from the grille seems to give an unfortunate resonate sound (difficult to explain, but during low turbo RPM, the spool sounds like the filter is lying in the glove compartment!).
    I will try to move the filter more upwards so that it doesn't lay right on top of the stock filter box and the cold air tube...

sigpic

nice one

I fitted a cheapo foam induction filter in mine straight away. You can now hear the recirc too. Still might upgrade it to a Bailey Recirc (not dump valve) to make it a bit better still.

Has a nice grunt to it now too. Enhances the sound of the exhaust imho too.

Get pics up mate

Comment

Sorry to say but it might be that you're losing power with the filter. If you're getting lower boost readings try fitting back to std. and measure again. I fitted one on my previous turbo car and the car got slower, turbo sounded louder though On cold days you can clearly hear the std. diverter valve with std. filter no need for performance filter IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by static
        Sorry to say but it might be that you're losing power with the filter. If you're getting lower boost readings try fitting back to std. and measure again. I fitted one on my previous turbo car and the car got slower, turbo sounded louder though On cold days you can clearly hear the std. diverter valve with std. filter no need for performance filter IMO.
        Sorry, I submitted the post before I was done writing
        Please read again.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carzzzer
          Sorry, I submitted the post before I was done writing
          Please read again.
          As long as you're not going slower it should be OK Might be it takes some time for the ECU to adjust..

Comment

As long as you're not going slower it should be OK Might be it takes some time for the ECU to adjust..
            What car did you experience the problem on? Could it be that the air filter was too small?
            sigpic

Comment

I have only had one problem like this. That was due to not getting a good cold air feed and it was sucking in warm air from engine area.

Definately not slower, probably about the same but with more grunt on the Meriva. Not sure how it is affecting fuel consumption yet. Might put the standard one back in when I have used this tank up and compare.

Comment

The previous car had stock airbox from higher performance model with performance panel filter. It got more air alright but the car just couldn't use it because of the stock ECU was too emission sensitive. Finally it was the EGR that made performance worse as removing EGR restored performance but at this point I just rather put the intake back to stock and be happy with the performance as there wasn't really much of a difference even with the EGR removed.

Actually haven't really bothered messing with the meriva as the intake seems pretty good in stock form. I've noticed that biggest performance gain comes from good quality 98 RON fuel. 200+bhp 300+nm from bog std. car!

Comment

@static: Do you have dyno graphs that shows this?
                  sigpic

Comment

Check the other thread with the dyno results. I haven't got a dyno for 98 RON yet, it's on my to do list though.

Comment

the induction kit looks cool fitted one to mine love the sound it makes also wraped a heat sheild round it

Comment

I fitted my standard airbox back in to see if increase in MPG....... no difference. So with that in mind, new forced air induction to follow

Comment

I had one similar to this and found that the car actuaklly lost power.

too much air and fuel was going in and wasn;t combusting right. i put the standard box back in and its so much quicker now.

i would recommend a good panel filter. i'm going to get one from courtenay.

Comment

Modern intakes are quite complex by design, if you throw all the work away engineer have put into it you may well lose power. Take a closer look at the intake, sometimes the things inexperienced tuning enthusiast see as restrictions are usually there for a reason, to remove pulses etc..

Comment

@MadJon: On a NA or turbo engine?

Intake air temparature is less significant on a turbo engine compared to a NA engine. The air is heated (anyway) when sucked in and compressed by the turbo, thus giving the charge air intercooler greater importance.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X