This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance

I am picking up my 15,000 mile R8 next week, it's got a FSH but from what I gather, these can benefit from fluid changes?

Is it worth going to Monkfish for new gearbox & diff oil, and clutch fluid? Or is it a case of, if its not broke, don't fix it?

Can't wait. Cheers.

Hi and Welcome, I generally change all fluids especially the clutch fluid around every 5K miles, just check the Clutch fluid and make sure it's clean, take the cap off if it is black it is deffo time to change it.

What colour 8 have you got ?
    sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Yes the fluid is dark, it was definately something I took note of. It seemed to work even when under load though which is good. I have to ask, why does it go dark so quickly?

Its Evoke
      Last edited by GaryR8; 23 July 2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryR8 View Post
        Yes the fluid is dark, it was definately something I took note off. It seemed to work even when under load though which is good. I have to ask, why does it go dark so quickly?

Its Evoke
        Well if it is dark already time for a change, not sure why the fluid goes so gunky so quick and I can't remember why lol im sure someone will come along shortly and inform us.

Nice colour, pop over to www.hsv.org.uk more helpfull info over there.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badboyburt View Post
          Well if it is dark already time for a change, not sure why the fluid goes so gunky so quick and I can't remember why lol im sure someone will come along shortly and inform us.

Nice colour, pop over to www.hsv.org.uk more helpfull info over there.
          The clutch fluid is going dirty due to clutch dust working its way back up the system. It gets past the seals on the return. Something to do with the clutch slave being around the imput shaft of the box and not a too good a design.

Comment

Originally posted by NikWilson View Post
            The clutch fluid is going dirty due to clutch dust working its way back up the system. It gets past the seals on the return. Something to do with the clutch slave being around the imput shaft of the box and not a too good a design.
            Thanks Nik knew there was an issue but didnt want to get it wrong lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badboyburt View Post
              Thanks Nik knew there was an issue but didnt want to get it wrong lol
              It amazes me just how dirty it gets and so fast. I am bleeding off the fluid and replacing it myself every month or so with good quaility DOT 4 brake fluid (Motul RBF600). To get to the bleed point on the g'box, you need a ramp as it is a bit awkward to get to.

I think (IMO) the slave seals and the dirty oil with clutch dust in it, may be what is causing some of the non returning clutch issues I have heard about. If the dust builds up in the slave, it may be interfering with a smooth return. I am sure someone who knows technically more will correct me if I have come to the wrong conclusion.
              Last edited by NikWilson; 24 July 2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

What do we make of changing the gearbox and diff oil?

Comment

I have had the non return clutch issue in the past and that is why im very concious about changing the clutch fluid but I dont do it monthly as I only use my 8 at the weekend's but I will have to do it soon as the dust is appearing at the top of my fluid.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GaryR8 View Post
                    I am picking up my 15,000 mile R8 next week, it's got a FSH but from what I gather, these can benefit from fluid changes?

Is it worth going to Monkfish for new gearbox & diff oil, and clutch fluid? Or is it a case of, if its not broke, don't fix it?

Can't wait. Cheers.
                    I changed my gearbox oil to fully synthetic ATF which is a better spec than the standard GM stuff. And yes, the manual box does take ATF according to my HSV VE manual! I used Amsoil ATF in the g'box. In the diff' I have put in higher spec Castrol fully synthetic 75/140 which is an excellent oil with an LSD in place. Brake fluid is ATE super blue DOT4 and the clutch fluid is standard DOT 4.

Monkfish will recommend Royal Purple which is also a good brand. They may also recommend syncromax gear oil instead of ATF. ATF is good for better fuel consumption than gear oil as it is lighter, but if you are going to drive the car hard and not too worrried about lossing 1 MPG, then you will have to go to a syncromax Gear oil.

The oils are pretty easy to change with a ramp or axel stands except getting to the clutch beed point.
                    Last edited by NikWilson; 24 July 2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

i have to get an r8 next , bro in law is picking up his next week in grey with black wheels , i went with on the road test and . . . omg its like its got 4 or 5 astra vxr lumps under there , haha , great car mate , good luck
                      sigpic
                      Custom Turbo Back - oil restrictor - gloss black trims -Quaife LSD - DAPS
                      www.regal-auto.co.uk

Comment

Dont call it Grey its Evoke lol
                        sigpic

Comment

haha sorry guys , evoke , thats such a good name for it too lol because it "evoke's" little t*****s in there dads m3's etc lol
                          sigpic
                          Custom Turbo Back - oil restrictor - gloss black trims -Quaife LSD - DAPS
                          www.regal-auto.co.uk

Comment

The first thing you want to do it clean the car off on the underside and get it Waxoyled. There is no underbody protection on these cars, mark my words there will be few in good order in years to come unless this is done early on. Now is the ideal time before the weather get very damp .

Comment

Nik could you explain how to change the gear box oil mate as I want to do mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X