This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying personal plates

I have got chance to buy cheap plate on ph and agreed deal but been asked to send v5 and mot along with fees for seller to post and carry out transfer is this normal? or is there a safer way to do this thanks,: Martin
    Phantom Black VXR8
    57 Plate

They should have the retention certificate, there is a section where they fill in your details and sign it over. DO NOT SEND YOUR V5 to them, they could change the ownership of your VXR and cause a lot of hassle. Even if you have to wait for them to get a retention cert. it only takes about 10 days. If they won't i'd advise to leave the plate.

Comment

I agree. It sounds like they want your V5. Take it in person, get a retention certificate, or forget it.

Comment

Whoever is selling you the plate is not willing to put it on a retention as that is going to cost them £130 AFAIR.
        As others have stated, I would not risk posting my V5C to anyone other than DVLA.

Comment

Retention was £25 plus the standard £80 you pay anyway, last time I did it.

V5 doesn't signify ownership, but I can understand your concern. For the extra £25 and a longer wait you can avoid having to send the V5.

Comment

These days it is £105 per year or £130 for two.
            When you want to assign the plate to a car that's extra £80.

The V5C indicates a registered keeper and not the owner, but it is much enough for someone to start claiming the ownership of your car. The trouble is that DVLA do not get involved into ownership disputes. That means that when everything goes **** up, all you can is go to the court and try to fight your rights there. I would rather keep my V5C under lock and key...

Comment

thanks a lot chaps thats great advice i will speak to the guy and obtain retention or not bother thanks again
              Phantom Black VXR8
              57 Plate

Comment

Originally posted by djwilk View Post
                These days it is £105 per year or £130 for two.
                When you want to assign the plate to a car that's extra £80.
                I think you're getting that a bit confused. The £80 assignment fee is included in the £105 and the £130, as the retention is £25 per year. If you want to change the nominee on a certificate, then that's another £25, or if you want to just transfer the plate from one car to another, then it's £80.

Comment

Working...
                X