X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wortec Exhaust - insurance and mpg

Hi there,
    New to the forum and enjoying my second week of VXR8 ownership having researched for a couple of months and succumbed to a 59 reg LS3 in Evoke.

Insured it through esure who offered best price having checked all of the usual suspects.

Considering adding the Wortec exhaust (with switch). Contacted esure who said insurance cost would rise by £120 pa. Is this reasonable compared with others' experiences?

Also, what's the likely impact on mpg of adding the Wortec?

Originally posted by Soton View Post
    Hi there,
    New to the forum and enjoying my second week of VXR8 ownership having researched for a couple of months and succumbed to a 59 reg LS3 in Evoke.

Insured it through esure who offered best price having checked all of the usual suspects.

Considering adding the Wortec exhaust (with switch). Contacted esure who said insurance cost would rise by £120 pa. Is this reasonable compared with others' experiences?

Also, what's the likely impact on mpg of adding the Wortec?
    Insurance sounds a lot to me just for an exhaust. I have seen a marginal increase in my MPG of 0.6 mpg Serioulsy though I think the only difference you will see on mpg will be because you can't help but be a little heavier on the right foot

Comment

admiral charged me £50 half way through my last policy which included £30 to change my reg number this year it went up from £1250 to £1550 but i have done some more stuff now

Comment

[QUOTE=Soton;1421623]Hi there,

Hi Soton, hard to say whether it is reasonable without knowing what the original premium was, but what is for sure is that Insurance companies have you by the soft dangly objects (that should get past the language filter) and they can squeeze whenever you present them with an opportunity to extract some more cash from you. Knowing the car you have and the type of person who drives it they figure you'll cough up £120 extra to have the exhaust fitted and I presume that the exhaust costs £1500 or more so it's about 10% of the cost of the exhaust. Question becomes, how badly do you want the exhaust? Out of interest, when you enquired about adding the exhaust how much did you expect them to increase the premium by?

-Matt-

Comment

When I was looking around Elephant quoted £30 extra for a non standard exhaust

Comment

Esure charged me £120.
            Daylight robbery if you ask me, but you've no choice other than to disclose.

Comment

Yikes. Never paid that much extra for a simple mod.

Comment

Keep it standard. They can still harrass a GT3.

Comment

[QUOTE=Soton;1421623]Hi there,

Hi Soton, one thing you could try is going to the comparison websites and getting a quote for your VXR8 both with and without a modified exhaust and see how the other insurance companies compare for adding the modifiied exhaust to the car. If you can find an insurance company who are cheaper then you can say to your current insurers, match this or I will switch my insurance. Whether you can actually switch without penalty, I don't know but like every purchase in life, you have the cash and that puts you in the driving seat. It might be that in the ultra competitive insurance market, just the threat of loosing a customer is enough to get them to drop the price. Good luck!

-Matt-

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice - particularly checking for new quotes WITH the mod. Will see how that works out.

Comment

Declare it as a "non-performance enhancing cat back exhaust"

Exhaust has been the first mod I have done to most of my cars, and I have never been charged a premium for declaring an exhaust mod.

Comment

Working...
                      X