X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm vs Tracker

Hi all,

It's me once again looking for your help and experience!

I was surprised that my insurance company offered me the same rate as my Scooby as long as I got a Thatcham 1 alarm fitted. The man from GAP security came out today and, as I am sure you know by this stage, it turns out the car does have an alarm. Apparently it hasn't gone through the process of being Thatcham approved and, despite him talking to my insurance company and telling them it is the equivalent of a Cat 1 they weren't having any of it.

The upshot is that they are fitting an RAC Tracker later this week which will keep my premium the same but I wanted to know if any other owners have experienced the same problems and whether they had a different outcome.

Thanks.
    sigpic
    Brutus is finally finished!! http://youtu.be/DYVkXRDnsVw

My insurance company have never questioned the alarm or put a condition on having a tracker fitted.

I would shop around a few insurers and see how the quotes compare, if you search the forum there are plenty of threads regarding which insurers to use, 3 or 4 tend to give pretty decent quotes on these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus View Post
      Hi all,

It's me once again looking for your help and experience!

I was surprised that my insurance company offered me the same rate as my Scooby as long as I got a Thatcham 1 alarm fitted. The man from GAP security came out today and, as I am sure you know by this stage, it turns out the car does have an alarm. Apparently it hasn't gone through the process of being Thatcham approved and, despite him talking to my insurance company and telling them it is the equivalent of a Cat 1 they weren't having any of it.

The upshot is that they are fitting an RAC Tracker later this week which will keep my premium the same but I wanted to know if any other owners have experienced the same problems and whether they had a different outcome.

Thanks.
      Hi Nostradamus, when I went to Admiral for a quote on a VXR8 they said putting a tracker on it would increase the insurance cost. The reason they gave was that if your fitting a Tracker you must think it's a higher theft risk. When I got a quote from Elephant and the question of alarms came up I did some research and came up blank but one of the guys on here had a PDF listing all the alarms for UK models and the VXR8 has a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser and a non rated Alarm, which Elephant was fine with.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. It seems that insurance companies make it up as they go along. I might 'phone Admiral and tell them I don't bother to lock the car and I always leave my key in the ignition to see if this suggestion of a lower theft risk means they offer me a low quote!
        sigpic
        Brutus is finally finished!! http://youtu.be/DYVkXRDnsVw

Comment

Firstly the OEM car alarm meets the Thatcham Cat II requirements ie immobilizer, ignition key must be present to deactivate the immobilizer. Without it the car if started will only rev to 3000 rpm and will cut out as soon as the car comes to rest (e.g. at a junction or traffic lights whatever).
          Also as previously noted some insurers charge more of one is fitted (something to do with the added cost of replacing it).
          MIEEE

Comment

Working...
          X