Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliability?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reliability?

    As i said in my other thread I'm looking to get a monaro as soon as I hit 21, have to admit it is 8 months but I was in a workshop today and I saw a vxr version. Started to have a look round cos I knew the garage owner (who is a Land Rover/ Jaguar/ Bentley/ Rolls specialist so knows his stuff) he said it was coming up for sale because the guy is fed up with it. He said he has had it about ten months,its never really worked from day 1, it's had a brand new enegine, still doesn't work and now the clutch is ******. He said it has been in a grage more than the guy has had it I was just wondering if this is just a bad one or if it is common for these to be broken?
    I was hoping the 'barn door' engineering would make them reliable compared to smaller engine cars tune to hell to get similar power?

  • #2
    Hi

    Nothing major in reliablilty to worry about. They have a few cosmetic issues like paint finish etc. The clutches are a weak point when you start upping the power, and the brakes have often been critisised for being inadequate when pushing hard, but, nothing tends to breakdown etc etc

    Try www.hsv.org.uk for more feedback!
    Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

    Comment


    • #3
      Reliability

      Originally posted by poshboy View Post
      As i said in my other thread I'm looking to get a monaro as soon as I hit 21, have to admit it is 8 months but I was in a workshop today and I saw a vxr version. Started to have a look round cos I knew the garage owner (who is a Land Rover/ Jaguar/ Bentley/ Rolls specialist so knows his stuff) he said it was coming up for sale because the guy is fed up with it. He said he has had it about ten months,its never really worked from day 1, it's had a brand new enegine, still doesn't work and now the clutch is ******. He said it has been in a grage more than the guy has had it I was just wondering if this is just a bad one or if it is common for these to be broken?
      I was hoping the 'barn door' engineering would make them reliable compared to smaller engine cars tune to hell to get similar power?


      Mate, ask anybody..my Vxr8 is the most unrelaible one or was!!
      New rear discs, new rear pads, new front pads, new auto box..........but its just one of those things...it got sorted under warranty, service was good, everything lovely (with exception of a bit more warranty work to be done.new claim dougie!!)...the car pound 4 pound is the best you can buy.

      Tell your mate..even bentleys, rolls royce etc (you mention he is a specialist)
      break down at 3 times the price......if they didnt..he wouldnt be a specialist garage in those marques.

      Everything can break down or go wrong no problems are to hard to solve.
      If the geezer who owns the car is fed up ..make him a cheeky offer and take it to Walkinshaw/monkfish or a specialist to be sorted
      Great cars mate...and somewhat individual

      Comment


      • #4
        Would like to make a cheeky offer but would only have to sit looking at me for a few months lol it's red anyway I want a yellow one to be really unusual thanks for the advice guys

        Comment


        • #5
          There is such a thing as mechanical sympathy too.

          (ie) Redline it and drop the clutch, or moderate rpm and ease off the clutch, which car would be more reliable and which one would have more breakages?

          Comment


          • #6
            same thing applies with brakes

            if you wearing through your brakes too quickly, its because you're driving it too hard. Just accept that if you drive a car like that, you wear through consumables faster and have to cough up. And not try and blame the manufacturer for making an "unreliable" car.

            Comment


            • #7
              Brakes

              Originally posted by MrLOL View Post
              same thing applies with brakes

              if you wearing through your brakes too quickly, its because you're driving it too hard. Just accept that if you drive a car like that, you wear through consumables faster and have to cough up. And not try and blame the manufacturer for making an "unreliable" car.
              WRONG SORRY MATE

              IN MY CASE ANYWAY!!

              IF IT WAS A dig..

              if it wasnt, then let me wind me neck in and say this

              I purchased from NOW HEATHROW a ex demo used car VXR8 last yr
              They didnt do the proper checks.......and as such the rear pads were metal to metal..done discs

              wasnt knocking Vauxhall..however now you mentioned it.why is Vauxhall /HSV changing auto boxes like Jordan changes her jellies!!
              cos the autobox is jank my friend
              Seven grand later for a new box and 23k miles....lets talk products now matey!!

              There has been an indentified issue with the auto boxes in Aussie and here ..more so in Aussie..they are not robust enough

              answer is..get a manual, or different brand of car


              pps ..they havent identified the problem.at this time
              Last edited by RAWPOWER; 14 November 2008, 11:25 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                To be fair, the guy is looking for a 2004/5 5.7 Monaro, not a VXR8. Different car altogether, and only available in manual.
                Last edited by caspy; 14 November 2008, 12:08 PM.
                Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good Point

                  Originally posted by caspy View Post
                  To be fair, the guy is looking for a 2004 5.7 Monaro, not a VXR8. Different car altogether, and only available in manual.
                  GOOD POINT well accepted
                  thanx
                  J

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    yeah I wouldbe wanting a manual makes drifting easier will be wanting one that has had a supercharger/turbo's fitted so expecting clutch/brakes/tyres to be common o well will make a nice noise

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You're going to need very very deep pockets if you can find an insurer for a blown monaro at your age.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mystvxr View Post
                        You're going to need very very deep pockets if you can find an insurer for a blown monaro at your age.
                        my thoughts aswell

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Agree with Mysty there...

                          My latest quote for a standard VXR8 just gone last week was £600 at age of 32, 7y NCB, Nil Points, no accidents. With minor mods of 14% power increase it shoots up by minimum 300 smacks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote is £1500 without mods for a vxr 6.0 with 3 points

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by poshboy View Post
                              quote is £1500 without mods for a vxr 6.0 with 3 points
                              They didnt make VXR's in yellow.
                              Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X