Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone retro fitted sat nav to VXR8 screen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone retro fitted sat nav to VXR8 screen?

Guys,

There was some speculation around retro fitting a satnav receiver to the VXR8 screen - just wondering if anyone knows how to do this yet?

Seems daft paying £1500 for the privilege of having std sat nav, surely there must be a way around this to use the screen capability?

Answers on a postcard,

Mart.
    2009 LS3 HSV Clubsport R8 500 BHP/LB FT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    3" X-Force exhaust, race cats & headers
    BC coilovers & BMR chasis braces, Billet Quickshift
    All Pedders poly bushes, strut brace & F/R ARBs

I'd be interested in it.

Comment

i wish i had sat nav in mine.

oh hang on i have.

if only poxhall would get me the dvd for the maps i could ****ing use it.*****!

Comment

I heard that the onboard inbuilt sat nav was pants when researching this car before I bought it, thats why I never optioned it !

Are you now telling me the Nav is actually quite good, or you just hoping it is ??

Or something else ?
        2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Comment

I was always of the belief it was pants, and awkward to use while driving
          sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

i have no idea, some ****** knicked the dvd when my car was at the dealers.

that was over a month ago.

still no dvd.

Comment

I'd heard that it wasn't brilliant, but for a couple of hundred quid I'd put it on to save having wires all over the place. I wouldn't pay £1500 for the integration though.

Comment

Seriously... don't bother... it is SH!TE!

I got mine retro fitted only cos the dealer thought it had one so to seal the deal I only paid £500 for it and got it installed a few months later.

You better off save the money for a portable widescreen unit... absolutely loads out there that include FM Transmitter for MP3 playback thru car stereo, Nav to Pics with camera, Live traffic update etc etc...

The car integrated system does not do TOUCH SCREEN either and u use the knobs and buttons to enter in addresses... very fiddly indeed but u can get the hang of it. Also I think it is rather dangerous operating it whilst driving cos u have to look down and away from what is infront. A windscreen mounted unit will be safer to use if u have to touch it whilst on the move.

Unless u can find a third party Sat Nav that can integrate but the screen in the dash will need to be changed for a touch screen and that is simply not possible as the entire section is a One-Piece unit from top to bottom… so u will only be able to view it.

If u want I can set up one of my in car cameras to record it entering address then driving to show u how crap it is…
                Last edited by Noose; 5 October 2009, 04:20 PM.

Comment

What Noose said. When I got mine, it already had the sat nav in which was a surprise to me and the dealer. The DVD unit eats 3/4 of the glove box and it is ***** as Noose said. I still use my TomTom which is miles better. Seriously don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ARAF View Post
                    I'd heard that it wasn't brilliant, but for a couple of hundred quid I'd put it on to save having wires all over the place. I wouldn't pay £1500 for the integration though.
                    I'm with you on this opinion.

Does anyone know the model number for the glovebox unit? Surely these can be sourced from somewhere other than a Vauxhall dealer?

It was also previously mentioned that it woyuld be possible to buy a GPS navigation box and hook it up to the screen but not sure how this would work in terms of entering directions. There is a UK version of this (linky) I believe and you would think that a decent install place wouldn't have much trouble hooking it up.

If it was possible to buy a box like this and make it work then I'd definitely be interested.

Comment

Circa £300 for the UK unit.....

Plus some install costs makes it not bad value overall. That's if it works of course!

http://www.shop.co.uk/49893/garmin-gvn53-garmin_gvn53

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...-gvn-53/11489/

Comment

I remember someone posting how the unit did not have the m6 north of Birmingham. That was enough for me to stick with tomtom. Yes its a pain having a separate unit but no incar unit is ever worth 1500 quid and if when it comes to trade in/sale they try to haggle as a result just walk from the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartybartfast View Post
                          .....but no incar unit is ever worth 1500 quid.....
                          I agree, though it's still a lot cheaper than the Porsche one - which is about £3k (when you add an amp and telephone module), or £3500 with Bose.

Comment

i have now stuck the relevant pages of an a-z on my display[using blu tack].

and for the computer voice i stop and ask somebody.

i am really looking forward to getting my sat nav disc!

Comment

lol
                              2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Comment

Working...
                              X