This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have you come from?

I don't want this to turn into a PH willy waving contest, but I see that there are a lot of other new members in here (don't be fooled by my joining date) as well as the VX diehards. I was wondering what driving backgrounds other new owners have come from (I have heard that a few Ferrari owners are now using big Vauxhalls for daily drivers).
    I've also seen the aftermarket and tuning buzz around the place, which suggests that owners aren't hp'd up to their eyeballs, and have a few shekels of disposable each month for toys.

Personally, we swapped my wife's Boxster S for a VXR8, as the other option (a Cayman) was an extra £16k. I wouldn't have looked twice at the car if it wasn't so cheap, but it really was a no-brainer. Talking of brains, my head wants to leave the car standard, but my heart wants to start ripping it apart and modifying it, to see what I can achieve.

How about the rest of you?

i used to have a corsa vxr before i bought the vxr8

so i am now skint , but do i regret buying it NO

all i want to do is drive it especially with the wortec exhaust.

Comment

are you one of the ferrari owners then ?

Comment

Congratulations on the upgrade then, you must be well chuffed.

As to Ferrari, no. I only mentioned it, as on some of the exotica forums they've been buying Aussie muscle as 'cheap' daily drivers. I'm not sure I could justify a Fezza to myself - let alone to my bank manager. My wife always has the best car, so the VXR8 is top dog at home, for the moment.

As I said, in some forums, topics like this are just people's excuses to brag about what they have. The VXR8 is the best we have, so that's certainly not my hidden agenda.

How long did you have the Corsa for, and did you mod it?

Comment

I had a BMW Z3M before my Monaro. Great wee car!!

Comment

I came from a modified 2005 BMW E60 5 series 530d M-Sport

Loving my R8 for the most part, just miss a few of the finer points from the BMW, but nothing thats making me look back
            2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Comment

I had a Seat Leon Cupra R - remapped to 267bhp on FWD... Fun!

Comment

cant remember.still have s2000 and scooby.

probably a 1.6 focus or a 106 diesel.

Comment

Monaro VXR.

Comment

I came from a Phase 2 Clio V6 running 280bhp and an Abbott Racing Saab 9-5 running 350bhp with an LSD. I sold these 2 cars to buy the VXR8.

Prior to these two cars, I had a Nismo spec R34 GT-R v-spec Skyline for 5 yrs that was a Banzai mag feature car.

I still have a Nissan Silvia drift car which is getting less and less use now. I find the 6.2L is just a bit more fun than the 1.8L turbo engine in the Silvia.

Nik
                    Last edited by NikWilson; 7 October 2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I traded in my 3 year old Golf GTI which I had from new for the R8. Really nice car the Golf but just didn't have enough grunt. Before the Golf were a 735i, a Focus, a Golf v6 4 motion, M3 and a few others.
                      None of these were modded. I have a running battle on with the missus who's just not interested in cars and doesn't get why I want to make some ... er... changes
                      Seeing you mention the Cayman, I had a bit of a run in with a new Cayman S yesterday in the R8. Nice looking motor but I think I upset the driver as he could not pull away from me and I was slowly gaining on him and he was giving it full beans. He eventually slowed right down and let me past but didn't look at or acknowledge me at all, he just had a face like a slapped ****

Comment

Originally posted by t0ne View Post
                        Seeing you mention the Cayman, I had a bit of a run in with a new Cayman S yesterday in the R8. Nice looking motor but I think I upset the driver as he could not pull away from me and I was slowly gaining on him and he was giving it full beans. He eventually slowed right down and let me past but didn't look at or acknowledge me at all, he just had a face like a slapped ****
                        He should have realised from the start, that a 300bhp car will never out-accelerate a 400bhp car, even with a 400kg weight advantage.

Let's face it, cars nowadays don't have to be very expensive to out-perform the drivers. I'll alway chicken out before the car runs out of steam.

Comment

I came from a Renaultsport Megane 175.

Thats the derv one.

Comment

Nothing wrong with oil-burners. I had a 147 16v diesel. It was 8 days old when it did it's first track day, did four sessions at the 'ring, and the BTG time of 9.35 wasn't too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by ARAF View Post
                              Nothing wrong with oil-burners. I had a 147 16v diesel. It was 8 days old when it did it's first track day, did four sessions at the 'ring, and the BTG time of 9.35 wasn't too shabby.
                              someone else who has owned an alfai had the 2.0tspark 147,but then got a 156 1.9jtd 20v,i presume you had the jtd aswell,150bhp was a great going thing with loads of torque an easily out performed the petrol engine
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X