This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle Clatter etc

Well this is my first pushrod engine since back in the late 80's when I had an Astra Mk1 1.2 ?? so please excuse me for not understanding what a typical pushrod engine sounds like, let alone a V8 variety.

When my car is cold I can clearly hear the valve train etc, whatever you wanna call it, quietens down as the engine warms but is always still there just a little if you listen for it.

However, im sure when its cold I can hear what sounds like a main bearing or something similar, is this normal ?? or maybe a big end ??

Engine still works fine, economy fine, temps fine, pulls not problem etc, just sounds i'm not familiar with and just wanting to make sure all is well.......?
    2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Mine sounds rather ticky/rattly too - read on another forum about LSx engines that it's quite normal?

Comment

Yer im understand the "top end" sounds, being a pushrod etc...the other heavier sounds dont sound great to me tho, reminds me of my noisy KTM super motard single on idle, just engine noises I mean, people who have had one of those will know what I mean

sigpic

Comment

lifters, rockers etc are a bit noisy and tappy. Pretty normal. But check oil levels in case you are running low.

Comment

it reminds me of my old fiesta.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Mark View Post
            Yer im understand the "top end" sounds, being a pushrod etc...the other heavier sounds dont sound great to me tho, reminds me of my noisy KTM super motard single on idle, just engine noises I mean, people who have had one of those will know what I mean
            Maybe it's only firing on 'one.'

If you mean a noise at about 3k revs, then I've put this down to induction resonance.

Comment

Could it just be the transmission noise at the bottom end?

Does it go away when you dip the clutch? If so prob nothing to worry about. I asked the same question of mine as it wasnt as noisy in my LS2 Monaro, but apparently its just less well insulated in the VXR8.

Comment

piston slap? had it on a couple of my R8's
                Fastest VXR8 in the UK

Comment

I'm slowly getting used to all the new sounds. Started off thinking something was wrong.

Overrun pops and bangs still raise an eyebrow sometimes - are you meant to feel it through the accelerator??

Comment

Originally posted by TILER View Post
                    piston slap? had it on a couple of my R8's
                    Sounds bad........is that something to be concerned about ??

I notice the sound when outside the car only, normally whilst having a quick smoke whilst the car warms for just a couple of mins, otherwise the car is jerky merky for the first half mile from stone cold, else I wouldn't bother

sigpic

Comment

Took a vid this morning, the noise captured is quite worrying IMHO, especially when I stuffed the vid cam behind the drivers side front wheel.....thats towards the end of the vid, vid is deliberately shot with no picture (lens cap on) to enhance the audio perception.

Having heard the sounds amplified i'm a little worried, pretty certain there is noises beyond the expected pushrod sounds, if it was any other engine I would suggest mains or big ends ? it is possible its pulley noise but it somehow doesn't quite sound like that to men, but then i'm not experienced with these kinds of engines.

The Vid.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXjnSExeWQ
                      Last edited by Phantom Mark; 14 October 2009, 09:13 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Should maybe point out the volume increases a lot near the middle to the end of the clip.........any opinions appreciated thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a V8! Certainly no different from mine.

Comment

I got the same noises covered 4k in mine since i got it and found no difference at all and was also worried about the noise when i heard it on the first few days
                            sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Ok, I will relax a little more now then.

Thanks guys, better to be safe than sorry right

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X