This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of warning - VXR8 underseal...

Had my wheels off today to adjust my coilovers and was horrified that there is absolutely NO underseal or anti corrosion protection of any kind on my car. Absolutely no protection to the underside of the car, the chasis, suspension arms or the inner arches.

I understand that there may be no need in Oz, but how can Vauxhall sell a car in this country like that??

The car is only 2.5 months old and I can already see the beginings of rust starting on the suspension arms, there are also many seams exposed which will no doubt rust very quickly if left untreated.

I'm gonna speak to Vauxhall customer services about this, and I would urge all VXR8 owners to do the same.

Whatever happens, the car needs some serious underbody protection and yours will too...

Mart.
    2009 LS3 HSV Clubsport R8 500 BHP/LB FT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    3" X-Force exhaust, race cats & headers
    BC coilovers & BMR chasis braces, Billet Quickshift
    All Pedders poly bushes, strut brace & F/R ARBs

I don't suppose there is much need for it in Oz.

To be honest though most modern cars have very little underbody protection as the materials used are way better than in the past.

North East England - Tech 2 diagnostics/ code clearing available, Cruise control switches supplied fitted and activated . PM me for details

Comment

Had mine undersealed at Monkfish

Comment

http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/
        sigpic

Comment

I got mine second hand dont suppose screaming at VX will work, either do it myself or funds permitting go to monkfish, any tips for DIY underseal?
          sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

I looked into this after midlife mentioned he'd noticed there was no protection...

Came across these guys, but bit of a trek for the likes of me!

www.rustmaster.co.uk

but if i get some time off in the new year will hopefully head down to monkfish!
            VXR8 LS3 - Heron White
            Insignia VXR - Olympic White
            Vec VXR - Arden Blue

Comment

I'd prefer to pay someone to do it...messy old job and they have all the ramps etc.

Planning on getting our motorhome done next year.
              sigpic

Comment

http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk/newmagoo.html

some nice pics here

Comment

Originally posted by Monkfish1 View Post
                  Now that im liking alot
                  HeavenlyDetail
                  Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post
                    Now that im liking alot
                    + I'm liking the wheels too...

maybe a visit to monkfish is a mistake, for my bank balance at least!
                    VXR8 LS3 - Heron White
                    Insignia VXR - Olympic White
                    Vec VXR - Arden Blue

Comment

hi guys does anyone no the cost of the undersealing at monk fish

Comment

another post said it was around £800

Comment

this sounds like a good price is that plus vat or £800 all in how long does it take

Comment

Originally posted by david vxr View Post
                            this sounds like a good price is that plus vat or £800 all in how long does it take
                            Cost will depend on how clean (or not) it is underneath. Need the car for a minimum of 2 full days, preferably 3. £800 includes the VAT. ALL our prices do.

Before you all rush in for this, i'll give my normal advice. If you are going to keep the car for 2 or 3 years then i wouldn't worry to much. The shell is, as far as i can see, galvanised. This will slow it down, but long term, the open seams will be be a problem as the salt drives its way in. If the cars is a keeper, then worth doing, otherwise, leave it a future owner and spend the money on going faster

Comment

Ohh, and id better add, we dont normally take off the rear subframe to rustproof, but on this occasion with the other work that needed doing, it seemed a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X