This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been caught out a couple of times in the wet today

As the title, mines seems very light on its feet since having the walkinshaw powerpac, went to overtake a car today, no more than 3000rpm in 3rd and end up sliding back in again, this wasnt very impressive as I had my 2 and 3 years olds in the back and I was very angry with myself.

After dropping them off, decided to test the car and all I can say is be careful in the wet, even when the traction control is on mine will spin on power (no clutch) in 4th, and if you are not expecting it, it could be very unpleasant for someone.

Apart from being more careful in the wet ive have now decided the VXR8 is one of the best cars I have ever owned, it just gets better and better.

Originally posted by stevie b View Post
    As the title, mines seems very light on its feet since having the walkinshaw powerpac, went to overtake a car today, no more than 3000rpm in 3rd and end up sliding back in again, this wasnt very impressive as I had my 2 and 3 years olds in the back and I was very angry with myself.

After dropping them off, decided to test the car and all I can say is be careful in the wet, even when the traction control is on mine will spin on power (no clutch) in 4th, and if you are not expecting it, it could be very unpleasant for someone.

Apart from being more careful in the wet ive have now decided the VXR8 is one of the best cars I have ever owned, it just gets better and better.

Get PLATO to demo it to you then.lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tjay View Post
      Get PLATO to demo it to you then.lol.

there is a video on here somewhere of jason having a play in one.

Comment

I had one of these vxr8s spinning up in 4th in the dry.On a private test track of course officer.

Comment

Monaro's are very much the same, can step out wiithout any notice!

Comment

having driven 2 VXR8s (1 auto and 1 manual) on a wet handling circuit, i can confirm they all spin ridiculously easy when its wet.

Comment

I may have missed the point but I thought that was the whole idea with these things!

Driven with sensitivity, mine feels really progressive and you can feel the torque building to a point where you know its going to break traction. Even when it does its dead easy to recover it, not like some RWD cars Ive had at least.

Comment

Whe I first got mine I had a few **** myself momments but u get used to it very very quickly and able to handle the power.

Most of mine were around corners and bends applying moderate power as u straighten, in the wet or damp and still get to go all over the place.

Some were just on the straights and the air is damp and still get the back end out and drift into next lane as the power is applied but you quickly learn what u can do and what u can't.

Now my wife still complains as I balance the power and correct it to ease back into normality gently, and last year it was jerk violently back in to lane.

Comment

Before my manual VXR8 i had a phase 2 Clio V6; these cars are a deam in comparison to a V6 in the wet. Now the clio V6 is a scary car in the wet!

I have found that the VXR8 in the wet gives little or no notice of snapping at the back as did the clio V6. I had coilovers fitted to the V6 with 20mm lowering. By doing that, at least the V6 would "skip" at the back giving you some warning before it let loose.

I wonder how much of this is due to the tyres fitted to the VXR8????

Comment

Originally posted by NikWilson View Post
                    Before my manual VXR8 i had a phase 2 Clio V6; these cars are a deam in comparison to a V6 in the wet. Now the clio V6 is a scary car in the wet!

I have found that the VXR8 in the wet gives little or no notice of snapping at the back as did the clio V6. I had coilovers fitted to the V6 with 20mm lowering. By doing that, at least the V6 would "skip" at the back giving you some warning before it let loose.

I wonder how much of this is due to the tyres fitted to the VXR8????
                    Some decent suspension and subframe bushes and some tweaks to the stock alignment settings and it can be much more progressive.

Comment

Love the way mine steps out, kind of know when its going to happen but it scares the life out of the missus, know what you mean though as when it first happens it makes ya heart skip a beat and a little brown stain appear on ya pants.
                      sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie b View Post

either something is wrong with your setup or your driving style

Comment

I have never been short of astounded by the grip this car has, even in the damp, in the wet you have to excercise some fine control with the throttle but even then I can accelerate hard in 4th with no spinning up at all, all the above with all aids switched off, and believe me, I love to hang the arsse end out and have fun whenever the chance arises.....
                          2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Mark View Post
                            I have never been short of astounded by the grip this car has, even in the damp, in the wet you have to excercise some fine control with the throttle but even then I can accelerate hard in 4th with no spinning up at all, all the above with all aids switched off, and believe me, I love to hang the arsse end out and have fun whenever the chance arises.....
                            mark get the walkinshaw powerpac and some 20s with less tyre depth, i can then assure you it will spin in 4th, mines like driving on ice buddy.

Comment

mine had more grip than i expected in the wet.

maybe the geo setup is better on the bathurst?

Comment

Working...
                              X