This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-reg V5 Problem?

I paid for my VXR8 August 20 from Peter Vardy in Kirkcaldy knowing it was a pre-reg and I would not get my V5 for 90 days. It is now well past that time, the dealer seems to know very little and suggested I call the DVLA, I did, they have no record of the car. It came with a strange number plate, turned out to be Northern Irish, a little worried now, what next, what has failed to take place?

Anyone hear had a similar situation or know of one and what happened? Never bought a pre-reg before so new to me, always bought brand new or second hand.

Quite frankly the dealer should be doing the legwork on this one. They have a record of you paying them, so they should provice the associated service.

If they won't, then you can apply to DVLA for a log book. They will contact the owner that they have on file, and provided they don't receive an objection, they will send you a log book for the car.

BTW, I only make it 81 days since you bought the car, so you've still got an extra week or so before they would normally start the paperwork, then you'll have a wait of a couple of weeks after that for the V5 to come through.

Comment

If you purchased the vehicle in full, it would be illegal for the dealer to not transfer the vehicle straight away,

Hartwell Norwich tried it on with me, so I went to another dealer and got the log book (v5) straight away.

Report the dealer to DVLA straight away, showing them your purchase invoice.

I hope you have an invoice documented as paid in full as this is your proof of ownership rather than a v5 anyways, if you haven't and the vx dealer went insolvent you would lose the car, be very careful and act very quickly

hope this helps

steve

Originally posted by Kurgan View Post
      I paid for my VXR8 August 20 from Peter Vardy in Kirkcaldy knowing it was a pre-reg and I would not get my V5 for 90 days. It is now well past that time, the dealer seems to know very little and suggested I call the DVLA, I did, they have no record of the car. It came with a strange number plate, turned out to be Northern Irish, a little worried now, what next, what has failed to take place?

Anyone hear had a similar situation or know of one and what happened? Never bought a pre-reg before so new to me, always bought brand new or second hand.

Comment

Over 90 Days

The car was a few weeks old when I collected it, the tax disc (I never checked it then and there, too excited) was taken out in July and expires at end of December so the car must be over 90 days old.

Vardy are a big dealership and so I don't think I should need to worry about them going bust. I am starting to think the car was imported to Ireland and brought over to the UK and not registered properly. The DVLA said give the tax disc a good going over, cannot do it until I get home, I walk to work so car is on the drive at the moment.

Hoping this is just a simple clerical error, will check all my documents when I get home. I will post tomorrow my findings about the tax disc and documents I have and what response I get from the dealer if any.

Comment

The trouble is DVLNI and DVLA are not properly linked up. I had a bit of bother getting my reg transferred at first. Didn't get mine on the Try and Buy scheme though. Shouldn't be a huge problem to register it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurgan View Post
            The car was a few weeks old when I collected it, the tax disc (I never checked it then and there, too excited) was taken out in July and expires at end of December so the car must be over 90 days old.

Vardy are a big dealership and so I don't think I should need to worry about them going bust. I am starting to think the car was imported to Ireland and brought over to the UK and not registered properly. The DVLA said give the tax disc a good going over, cannot do it until I get home, I walk to work so car is on the drive at the moment.

Hoping this is just a simple clerical error, will check all my documents when I get home. I will post tomorrow my findings about the tax disc and documents I have and what response I get from the dealer if any.

Never take any for granted in this world

Leman Bros
            Woolworths
            Bradford & Bingley
            Northern Rock

and RBS were saved 1 Hour before going bust

Comment

If the car is imported (is it still classed as uk model cause its northern ireland?) then would the dealer not be in the wrong for not telling you this and saying it was a pre reg car when its obvo not
              sigpic
              Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
              And now have an
              Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
              Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

Comment

Ni = uk.

Comment

I think the 90 day thing was from the sale of the car to you, rather than date of registration. The add a few days for the paperwork.

However if you are sure it should have happened by now, or if the DVLA doesnt recognise it for any reason, ask the dealer to to provide a courtesy car of decent standard until its sorted out. That should grab their attention.

Comment

There was an article in Whatcar on this.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/pre-...scandal/225709

Apparently it was made illegal to sell the car within the 90 days of first registration in order to stop them distorting the market by "selling" a higher proportion of new cars, almost at will. Dealers seem to be getting away with flogging these motors and keeping V5s to keep auditors happy, but apparently the new owners of these cars could get caught out if they have an accident / caught speeding. The Whatcar series of articles was enough for me to walk away from several dealers when i was looking for my VXR

Comment

This aint looking good that article basically makes the dealer look guilty of fraud IMO anyone else had these problems ?????????/
                      sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

good find blue,

i knew it was illegal to hold on to the log book,

but i never knew the OFT would not allow dealers to send prereg cars,

Very interesting indeed

Comment

Not read the article but I do work in the trade, if the cars under 90days old from the point of reg its simply not possible to sell the car on, it can be pre-sold but not delivered or the ownership changed.

If dealers are letting people pay for and buy cars and take delivery without a log book then sending this off after 90days its very very naughty to say the least.

If as mentioned the car gets a speeding fine its still in the dealers name, techincally they couldnt make you pay or take the points as they legally could not have sold you the car

Comment

Second time I have bought a new VX on this "scheme" - in each case, received my logbook 90 days after with no problems.
                            The only issue I had was the insurance, a couple companies wouldn't insure me as my name was not registered on the V5... The insurance companies didn't ask about who the registered keeper is, but as soon as I mentioned it wasn't me, they said they were unable to insure the car.

Aren't the cars sold this way classed as demonstrators? Therefore if you get caught speeding, its still your problem?
                            Last edited by rpdjpd; 10 November 2009, 09:14 AM.
                            VXR8 LS3 - Heron White
                            Insignia VXR - Olympic White
                            Vec VXR - Arden Blue

Comment

You need to speak to the guys at Peter Vardy and get them to sort this out for you. Peter Vardy is a reputable company and it is highly unlikely that there is anything untoward here just a bit of slack admin.

There is no law against selling a car that has been 'self registered' within 90 days but there are consequences of doing so. Mainly the dealer has to declare the vehicle as a self registration which makes it ineligible for any volume related payments.

There is an official Vauxhall scheme 'Try and Buy' where the vehicle is registered in the dealers name. You pay a deposit and sign an agreement which says you are responsible for insuring the car, parking fines, speeding tickets, damage to car etc. (It's like being in a hire car for 3 months). After the 3 months are up you pay the remainder and the registration document is transferred to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X