This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas where is air inlet starts?

As it's been a little damp recently and I've been thinking I'll soon need a boat to drive to work, it has got me wondering where the air intake for the engine is..

It's not that unusual to have to drive through a few inches of standing water, here in the rainy county. The worst I've had to do recently has been about a foot deep. Having had a quick glance under the bonnet i can't tell where the air intake starts or even what height (you can tell my technical ability!)

I get a bit of a cold sweat when i think about deepish water, i seem to recall the original Renault Espace has a very low intake which cost a fair few engines and it's not that long ago that a mate of mine killed his Vectra's engine by trying to suck up a rather large puddle .

Any ideas please?

Dont open the bonnet and take a look you might see it!

Comment

Originally posted by ringram View Post
      You assume everyone is mechanically minded.

I think this is a reasonable question, as I can see where the air filter box is on the RHS, but not sure where the intake to the box actually starts.

Comment

Im guessing that Rich is maybe indicating that the inlet actually starts in the bonnet "mouth", hence you can only see it when the bonnet is down ?? not bothered to look myself tho....
        2009 Red Hot VXR8 LS3 Manual.......very "Smitten"

sigpic

"Power is nothing without control"

Comment

it seems to me she lived her life...

no hang on.

it seems to be behind the foglight cluster.

Comment

Ok I'll try again, but nothing jumped out at me...

Originally posted by NikWilson View Post
            You assume everyone is mechanically minded.
            Well i know i ain't very mechanically minded so I'm not even sure i would know it if i saw it, unless i can trace the path back to the air box.

Originally posted by S2000GT View Post
            Ah excellent, i shall have a look in the morning, seems a little low but as no one is jumping up and down about engine damage maybe it's a non event really.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to the technically challenged

Comment

Originally posted by S2000GT View Post
              it seems to me she lived her life...

no hang on.

I will have to take a look as I had no idea where it was. That means it is pretty low.

Comment

It's an uphill path to the airbox and it has a drain.

Comment

is it either side of the front diffuser
                  sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

here are a couple of pics of the airfilter box and air inlet,if it helps any.

Comment

An otrcai will raise the intake to the bonnet and increase performance at the same time. Probably 1ft higher up than stock level if you are concerned about it

Comment

would love a straight answer as earlier suggested as we are not all technically minded.
                        sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

The air is drawn in just below the passenger side headlamp (small gap under headlamp)

As said it has an up hill path with a moisture trap.

so keep the bow wave under the headlamps
                          Fastest VXR8 in the UK

Comment

An otrcai will raise the intake to the bonnet and increase performance at the same time. Probably 1ft higher up than stock level if you are concerned about it
                            Sounds like an option.... ...

(almost sounded like i was knowledgeable for a moment but it took me a moment to find out that OTRCAI was an Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake, so it kinda made sense - No offence Ringram but i originally thought it must be to do with a supercharger, so i had to go look it up! good ole google!!)

Having said that tongue in cheek, with the weather we've been having I'm pleased to be a little better informed.

Thanks again for all the responses especially Magic and Tiler for letting me know it's "uphill" and has a drain. That reassures me, more that you can probably imagine.

Also a big thank you for the pics braveheart as i can now visualise how it all fits together. A picture really does say a thousand words..

Cheers

Comment

happy to help mate, since you are on about an otrcai, here is a pic of mine
                              fitted to my vxr8.

thats why i could take a pic of the airfilter box, its in my loft.

Comment

Working...
                              X