This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO Install fog lamp covers

Some may see this as an easy modification. Others are not so confident, so I have made a pictorial of the fitting, to encourage them.

These are the Walkinshaw covers. The only tools you should need are 4.5mm and 7mm drill bits, screwdriver, drill.

Clean where the covers are going, as once they are on, you don't want to be removing them too often.

Offer up the covers.

Using the pre-drilled holes as guides, drill 4.5mm holes in the bumper.

Take the covers back off, and open out the holes with the 7mm drill

Insert the cavity bolts

And press the points into the plastic around the hole

Tighten the screw BY HAND with a screwdriver, until you feel it tighten. Take it easy at the start, so the captured nut doesn't spin.

Then remove screws

Finally, put the plastic washers on the screws, line the cover back up, and screw them back down, adding the black caps afterwards.

Job done, it took less time to do (including taking the pictures) than it did to write the proceedure up.

Caution.
    1/ Make sure the cover is in the right place before drilling the pilot holes. The cover is a tight fit, so it's difficult to get it in the wrong place.

2/ Do not use the drill (with screwdriver bit) to tighten the bolts. You cannot feel as they are tightening, so don't know when to stop.

3/ Do not over tighten the bolts when you fit the covers. You will crack the light cover.

Snags.
    The only problem I had, was that the prongs on one of the cavity fixings flattened. This weakened them, so I had to make a further two in the top to hold the fixing as the backing nut was pulled in. It was easy to make them, as the metal is soft, so I used sidecutters to cut diagonally into the top, and bent new prongs down.

Addendum
    Water and insects get in from the rear. When the water dries, it leaves a 'tide' mark on the black plastic. When the car was last being cleaned, Ralphvxr removed the covers, and used diluted kettle descaler to remove the white marks.
    (thanks to Dan and Graeme for this)
    Last edited by ARAF; 6 November 2010, 02:17 AM.

Nice write up, wonder if we could get a group buy?

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Nice one mate well done, deffo want a set of these for mine now how do we organise a group buy ?
      sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Frankly, at a lot less than a tank of juice, is it worth getting a GB together? You're already going to save the fitting (close to £40) by doing it yourself....

Edit: If you do, I'll have to ask them for commission for promoting them on this thread.

Comment

That is true it has to be the cheapest mod for the 8
          sigpic

Comment

looks good,but that second pic looks like you lost a leg or is it just me
            sigpic

Comment

lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TomFraser View Post
                looks good,but that second pic looks like you lost a leg or is it just me
                It gets in the way, when I'm kneeling on the floor, so I take it off. I didn't look at the reflection. Are you also an amputee then?

Comment

Just for the record, the lens has a bulge over the top light, which distorts the reflection. That leg was still attached to the rest of my body - when I last looked.

I'm sure my last reply shut you up for a moment though.

Comment

pml araf it shut me and my missus up when i showed her lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for this ARAF - looking to fit these to mine... when I find out how you actually order them from Walkinshaw; guessing you can't do it online?

Comment

I called them, to ask if I had to order through a VXR8 dealer, and was told that they could take the order over the telephone. You could e-mail them, but sending your card details by e-mail is a big no-no IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ARAF View Post
                          It gets in the way, when I'm kneeling on the floor, so I take it off. I didn't look at the reflection. Are you also an amputee then?

Just for the record, the lens has a bulge over the top light, which distorts the reflection. That leg was still attached to the rest of my body - when I last looked.

I'm sure my last reply shut you up for a moment though.
                          you got me big time
                          while we on it looks like you got fingers missing on the 2nd pic
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TomFraser View Post

you got me big time
                            while we on it looks like you got fingers missing on the 2nd pic
                            I can't tell you it's Leprocy - as the fingers have grown back, in the next picture. IIRC, I was using the other two to fingers to keep sideways pressure on the cover.

Comment

I can't tell you it's Leprocy - as the fingers have grown back, in the next picture. IIRC, I was using the other two to fingers to keep sideways pressure on the cover.
                              man of many talents
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X