This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filled up today and worked out approx fuel consumption for previous tankful

Hi Folks, since one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum from new members (myself included) seems to be "how thirsty is the VXR8" I thought it would be interesting to keep a record of the fuel consumption.

On 7th June 2011 I filled the car up with the needle showing one quarter of a tank left. According to the manual the petrol tank holds 73 litres and it took 49.41 litres to fill up on Shell VPower petrol. The invoice amount was £69.62.

On 1st July I filled up again, needle on approx same point. Took 56.40 litres. Cost £78.34.

The mileage covered between 7th June and 1st July was 171. About 70% of the driving was around town between 30mph and 40mph, with the occasional blast along dual carriageways and a couple of rides into the Dorset countryside.

If I have my sums right the petrol consumption was 15.716 miles per gallon. Which is a Gnats Whisker of what the trip computer told me. All this with the air con running. Which is about 5 mpg more thirsty than my previous 2.5 v6 Cavalier. Considering the diffference between the two engines, I am most impressed!

Matt

nice little right up bud. and like you say that is not massive dif in the fuel between the 8 and the cav for such a big dif betwwen cars.

the last time i looked at the trip computer we are getting 12.4mpg from our 8 but that is pritty much all town driving.

Comment

Originally posted by H15 VXL View Post
      nice little right up bud. and like you say that is not massive dif in the fuel between the 8 and the cav for such a big dif betwwen cars.

the last time i looked at the trip computer we are getting 12.4mpg from our 8 but that is pritty much all town driving.
      Hi H15VXL, the best I have seen was on a dual carriageway run where the traffic only permitted cruising between 50-60mph and the trip computer reading went as high as 24mpg and when I returned home the average was 20.4mpg which included about 5 miles 30-40mph between dual carriageway and driveway. Maybe it is because I have come from a 2.5 v6 but i don't think of it as a particularly thirsty car.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder9570 View Post
        Hi H15VXL, the best I have seen was on a dual carriageway run where the traffic only permitted cruising between 50-60mph and the trip computer reading went as high as 24mpg and when I returned home the average was 20.4mpg which included about 5 miles 30-40mph between dual carriageway and driveway. Maybe it is because I have come from a 2.5 v6 but i don't think of it as a particularly thirsty car.
        I must agree once you do get on a run it is not that bad just not the best as daily runner around town but have checked it today and average is now showing 13.7mpg so it is getting better. but still i only got 16.4mpg over 1500miles with vec vxr i had lol

Comment

Working...
        X