X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooler termo to the cooling system

hi

anybody now if it is possible to get and cooler termo that opens earlyer then the original so the engine dont run so warm....?

Its not soley about the opening its more important as to the opening to fully open.

However, there is one which is 1 degree earlier opening but fully open at the same as the std.

VXl/Opel fit a cooler running thermo as std, 84-96, already aware as to the cooling challenges of the std engine.

Furthermore you have to ensure that the earlier opening thermo does not fall within the enrichment map for cold starting. You will need to check with your tuner for this and whether they changed it. I suspect most tuner in the UK leave this alone...

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by T28 VXR View Post
      Its not soley about the opening its more important as to the opening to fully open.

However, there is one which is 1 degree earlier opening but fully open at the same as the std.

VXl/Opel fit a cooler running thermo as std, 84-96, already aware as to the cooling challenges of the std engine.

Furthermore you have to ensure that the earlier opening thermo does not fall within the enrichment map for cold starting. You will need to check with your tuner for this and whether they changed it. I suspect most tuner in the UK leave this alone...

HTH
      i was thinking of mounting and elektrik pump in the cooling hose and when the termo opens it will push the water faster truh the cooling system....

and also make and pibe in my cooling hose and make and adapter so i can get the water return from the turbo truh my cooling system(radiator) instead of getting it truh my expansion tank....

Comment

By the sounds of things you need an uprated radiator buddy
        sigpic

Comment

Haps,

What are the true water temps you are experiencing. The courtenay system still uses the expansion tank but gets the water down to a lower level before it hits the tank. As the system is pressurised I would avoid taking the tank out of the solution.

In regard to the Electric pump I see where you are comming from, but I think it will need careful R&D because, you will need to avoid cold spots on the water jacket. Also you will still be governed by the thermo opening, but having logged allot of data on the flow there are benefits to getting the water to pass faster through the system and it has been tried and proven that it works. However, there are limits, as with everything, to this as well.

Some really good ideas here Haps, but think a little more laterally and there could be an easier way of getting what you require without the electric pump (Sorry a bit vague but its something I am looking at doing myself).

Comment

Haps,

What are the true water temps you are experiencing. The courtenay system still uses the expansion tank but gets the water down to a lower level before it hits the tank. As the system is pressurised I would avoid taking the tank out of the solution.

In regard to the Electric pump I see where you are comming from, but I think it will need careful R&D because, you will need to avoid cold spots on the water jacket. Also you will still be governed by the thermo opening, but having logged allot of data on the flow there are benefits to getting the water to pass faster through the system and it has been tried and proven that it works. However, there are limits, as with everything, to this as well.

Some really good ideas here Haps, but think a little more laterally and there could be an easier way of getting what you require without the electric pump (Sorry a bit vague but its something I am looking at doing myself).
            yes i have been looking on making and bigger radiator but it could be easy with the elektrik pump and cheaper then making and bigger radiator...

cortney dont they have and solution for the return water to the tank from the turbo...?

Comment

Is there any way that you can increase the water pressure as that would increase the waters boiling point so run at slightly lower temps

Comment

The Courtenay solution is designed to lower the water temps from the turbo, prior to it going back into the expansion tank. This allows the water pressures to remain as originally designed and feeds cooler water to the block from the expansion tank.

HTH

Comment

Haps, do you know your what your true water temps are?

Comment

This is getting interesting
                    sigpic

Comment

not an ideal solution but how about an uprated fan to aid cooling

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/cooling_fans.htm

at the bottom of the page there is also a kit for adjusting the radiator fan thermostat

Comment

Some good idea's coming through but the Vectra rad cooling fan is controlled by the ecu, where the sensor is on the front of the block (On at 98, off at 95 - true temps). There is no fan thermo switch on the radiator (if that was the idea).

Interesting about the fan, would agree to some extent but apart from the air flow issue there is not enough space on the back of the water radiator, as it already has two, if additional fan, but also needs a bit of work on the fan connector,looks a nightmare if you change the fan :-( . It is just as easy to run the A/C (assuming your not to worried about the drop in economy) to keep temps down after a spirited run.
                        Last edited by T28 VXR; 21 July 2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thinking about it I wonder if there is a thermo that would fit with a short range, 84-90, this might help allot, along with improving the flow. Someone is checking something for me on flow, so I'll see what comes back.

However, the position of the thermo on the vectra is different and if memeory serves me right (but may not due to me age!!! ) its on the gearbox side, so the water will already be at 84 before it opens up. HMMMM more thought needed !
                          Last edited by T28 VXR; 21 July 2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Haps, do you know your what your true water temps are?
                            no havent measured it but when i am running full power the display gauge is over 100....

and can se that the tank is letting steam out off it.....

and after 1500-2000km the water lamp is ligthing in my display and then the car needs 0.5liter....

i am taking the car in today to check for leaks.... i just dont hope it the top gasket but i dont think it is that because it is running fine

Comment

100 on the gauge?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X