X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some basic questions...

Hey guys.
    Very impressed with the forum.
    I'm a newbie here and just purchased a VXR vectra estate. For those who are interested, it's the 'special' edition...aka ex police!

I have been working on it for the past few weeks to get it back to an original state, it now sports the 'original' SRI interior and looks pretty tidy. (no more screw holes or dodgy wires left hanging around!)

I have a few questions. Its an early 2007 on a 56 plate. It also has '186kv' stamped on the door plate so i presume this is the 255Bhp model. How easy is it to get it to the 280Bhp version? Is it worthwhile?

As this is ex police it does have a few faults which can soon be sorted. It is surprisingly straight! No dints that I can find, however it does do one thing which is completely baffling!

When i unlock or lock the car, the rear light clusters 'tick'....It's almost like there is a relay clicking, but can't see anything. It lasts for abour 30 seconds then stops. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
    Looking forward to becoming a member of the team!

Andy.
    Last edited by ezeepzee; 30 July 2010, 08:12 PM. Reason: typo! oops!

Best way to get it up to a 280 is a remap mate, will give you the 300bhp most of us enjoy, also gives you in the region of 400lbs/ft of torque which is monstrous

The rear light cluster jobbie, is it possibly an ex police wiring thing? Or is the clicking coming from the boot lock?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ezeepzee View Post
      Hey guys.
      Very impressed with the forum.
      I'm a newbie here and just purchased a VXR vectra estate. For those who are interested, it's the 'special' edition...aka ex police!

I have been working on it for the past few weeks to get it back to an original state, it now sports the 'original' SRI interior and looks pretty tidy. (no more screw holes or dodgy wires left hanging around!)

I have a few questions. Its an early 2007 on a 56 plate. It also has '186kv' stamped on the door plate so i presume this is the 255Bhp model. How easy is it to get it to the 280Bhp version? Is it worthwhile?

As this is ex police it does have a few faults which can soon be sorted. It is surprisingly straight! No dints that I can find, however it does do one thing which is completely baffling!

When i unlock or lock the car, the rear light clusters 'tick'....It's almost like there is a relay clicking, but can't see anything. It lasts for abour 30 seconds then stops. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
      Looking forward to becoming a member of the team!

Andy.
      As Stewart has said a remap will take you straight to 300bhp with around 400lbs.

The ticking sounds like they've left a relay in which is used in conjunction with the emergency lights. Have a word with the dealer you purchased it from see if they know where to look for it.

Comment

thanks for the quick replies!

As regards the remap, what does it cost? Any places come highly recommended? Does it effect engine reliability, or are these lumps/gearboxes very capable of handling that kind of power?

Will strip down the tailgate and see what I can find. Figured it must be something simple!

Excuse the dumb questions, not all that well up on Vaux!

Andy.

Comment

there are lots of tuners its preference really just do your research and decide which to use courtenays, thorneys, regal are 3 main ones or you can get a handhelp unit but its better to go to a tuner who will tweak the map to suit your car and put it on the rollers to make sure its running right
          STAGE 6 Courtenay intercooler, Quaife lsd, 3" exhaust, Percys tophat, gt28/68 hta, custom made parts, Whiteline rarb, DAP springs, Courtenay 16 grove discs, Mintex M1144 pads, stainless braided hoses, brake cooling ducts, 5.1 dot fluid, Insignia washer jets. over400bhp and 400f/lbs Courtenay tuned.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated
            I have stripped the entire interior down today, as a result removed what seems like 1,000miles of old wiring loom from the police equipment.

Still can't find the reason for the rear light clusters to tick though :S

It appears that they are coming from the light bulbs them selves....The clusters look pretty standard to me - no relays or anything obvious.
            I have noticed a rather large interface box on the left had side behind the carpet boot side. It appears that everything plugs into this unit.....Could it be something in there?

Do any of the members on the forum have an ex police vectra VXR?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X