X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help too, please!

My dash is currently replicating Blackpool illuminations

The other day the traction control light came on, I was going down quite a poorly surfaced road at the time, but nothing too out of the norm, so I switched the car off and turned it on again and it went away for the rest of my journey, 45 miles.

The performance is exactly the same, no running issues at all, its quite fun with no traction control actually but the light has re-appeared more frequently now and it stays on constantly now, also joining it is the IDS light (this just flickers on and off occasionally, and also my AFL light flickers on too) and I have just been out and checked the headlights and they move left and right very intermittently.

I asked a very helpful forum member his opinion (cheers Stu) and checked connections on and around the suspension, everything seemed fine although I did just prod and poke in the hope that I had magically fixed it, but still it remains.

Can anyone advise what they think could be wrong? I was going to wash it today but as it is messing me about I didnt bother

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard
    Had 3 x Vectra VXR's, now 335d M Sport Xdrive and LCI E60 550i

have you checked for any fault codes not sure if it can be done on the vec but worth a go have a look in the how toos on how to check for fault codes
    STAGE 6 Courtenay intercooler, Quaife lsd, 3" exhaust, Percys tophat, gt28/68 hta, custom made parts, Whiteline rarb, DAP springs, Courtenay 16 grove discs, Mintex M1144 pads, stainless braided hoses, brake cooling ducts, 5.1 dot fluid, Insignia washer jets. over400bhp and 400f/lbs Courtenay tuned.

Comment

didn't realise you still had problems richard, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm if the car isn't affected by this,I.e performance wise I'd have to guess that there is a faulty sensor somewhere mate, that's the first place of look,
      Probably best to have a look with tech2 mate, see what these trouble codes are saying,
      Wouldn't worry you about the ecu just yet
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe worth a squint at the IDS sensors, pull them apart and make sure there ain't anything amiss in there, water, or maybe needing cleaned,

I'm thinking hat your amm would bring these lights up, but your car would most probably run like a bag of poo buddy
        sigpic

Comment

We need sparky
          sigpic

Comment

Cheers guys, I shall see if there are any codes in there.

Yep Stu still got problems, like I say the car is performing faultlessly, just this issue at the moment, it would seem to be some sort of power supply failure, so a sensor of some sort may just need replacing, god it really does pox me off when my car isnt right lol I shall have another beer to cheer myself up

I shall take my wheels off tomorrow and have a good poke around, I dont know what im looking for other than unplug some stuff, blow in it and plug it back in again lol
            Last edited by Richie Russ; 31 July 2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Is the speedo playing around? Have your tried disconnecting the battery and then seeing what you are doing when the lights pop up. Does it occur if your turn the wheel?

How long ago did the Eibachs get fitted?

Comment

The speedo is fine, I will disconnect the battery tomorrow and see if i can pinpoint what seems to cause it.

I would say that the AFL and IDS lights tend to flicker a bit more when turning, even slightly, the Eibachs were fitted a few months ago, I did go over some ropey road surface when the traction control light first came on and seems like something has been disurbed maybe, quite coincidental...but then again, mebbie not!

Best to tech 2 it do you think?

Comment

OK so I would suggest that the initial starting point is to remove the wheels.

"Gently" check the conenctions on the suspenion leg.

There are three connectors on the main block. The connectors sit up inside the block, but when re-fitting these connectors, it is easy to mistake them being home when actually they are not. As the turning ring is placed back into position it keeps the connectors on the wrong side of it.

If you can pull the connectors out easily (and be careful here), move the locking lug to its released position, turn the ring and replace the connectors fully back into the block. Then reposition the turning ring and lock back into position.

IT does not take all connectors to cause this, but the IDS and the suspension sensor will cause the dashboard to light. Often when turning the wheel the situation can get worse ,to the extend that even the speedo will jump up and down if the abs/tc connectors is loose.

HTH

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time, have a virtual beer

I will do that tomorrow and see what occurs,

Cheers
                    Richard

Comment

Afternoon chaps,

Have had the wheels off and the 3 plugs off each side but all looks fine, everything seems nice and tight, and sadly the lights are still on.

Anyone local to Kent who can read fault codes? I assume the ECU would have recognised there is a problem and stored any codes?

Thanks

Comment

Richie, go to the car and turn on the ignition, but only too the lights come on the dash, "do not start the car"

Tell me what lights are on the centre of the clocks, your battery, handbrake and eml will be on but see if any others stay on
                        sigpic

Comment

PM sent mate
                          sigpic

Comment

Fao mark,

Hi mate, spoke with Richard today, disconnected battery and everything works as normal, until he drives the car and lights come on,
                            Overtime he switches off the engine it seems to clear fault, no T/C's are logging
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi chaps,

Just come back from a wee drive out and can report the following.

TC light on permanently, regardless of what speed I am doing.

IDS and AFL lights don't seem to come on when driving on motorway, when doing about 40 ish and having the steering wheel just off centre to the left, the lights go mental.

At a standstill with car ticking over, if the steering wheel is straight the lights dont tend to come on (TC light is always on), if I position the steering wheel ever so slightly to the left, the IDS and AFL lights come on, I then straighten the wheel and they go out, its as if i can make them come on..

AFL doesnt appear to be working, there are little bulbs that light up when turning the wheel to the left and right, but no physical movement of the headlights at all.

Any further ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X