X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level warning light...

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the oil warning level light...

Basically, running completely standard vectra VXR on 08 plate, took it on it's first decent run since buying at the weekend.
    All going great, crusing speed on the M6, when the oil level warning light comes on. Now I'd checked it cold before starting off, and knew I was on the full mark, but pulled up at a services to check again... Rested for 5 minutes, level was full on dip stick?!?

Started car again, no light till another 20-30 minutes cruising speed, light back on!

Basically, the oil level is fine, but the sensor seems faulty.
    Also, lights not coming on with normal town driving.

It's booked in with my local dealer tomorrow, but they'll be nothing on the dash at this point.

Does anyone know if the oil level warning (orange light) shows / logs anything to the system as an error code?? According to my dealer, car is up to date with recall's, so I guess they'll start with error codes as there will be nothing wrong technically when I drop it off!

I have seen one thread on here discussing the sensor being part of the sump & quite a big job to change... Anybody have any recent experience of faulty oil level sensors / anything else I could get the dealer to check out tomorrow??

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by W00kiee; 10 August 2010, 03:17 PM. Reason: Correcting typo's as written from iPhone!!

i know the same thing happened to vectramat on here,and vx sorted it out.give him a pm bud

Comment

Exact same happened to me coming home from PVS last year after it's first oil change . Never happened again though and it's had two further oil changes and plenty of high speed long distance runs. Just put it down to a electrical glitch somewhere

Comment

I had exactly the same problem 2 weeks ago coming up the M1 140 miles. Checked it and oil ok does not happen round town as well.

Comment

I keep having my oil light coming on but no drop in oil? Im thinking a faulty sensor how do you change it and where also when its cold oil level fine then 20 mins later pings back on same problem does anyone who yet?
          sigpic

Team HARD.
          ...I'm a Regal dare devil...

Comment

I also had the same problem but my Opel dealer sorted it out by upgrading diff. software on the car. If the engine oil sensor needs to be fixed it will be more expensive

Comment

Found out that when it's due service it will come on. More of a reminder if anything else. My dealer said if the service interval was reset it would sort it. (unless there was a sensor prob or actually low oil level that is mind)

Mines never been on since.

Comment

Originally posted by A9121646 View Post
                Found out that when it's due service it will come on. More of a reminder if anything else. My dealer said if the service interval was reset it would sort it. (unless there was a sensor prob or actually low oil level that is mind)

Mines never been on since.
                Dont think that's right buddy , mine's was just serviced and computer reset and it still happened

Comment

Hmm obviously I made that schoolboy error of believing in what a dealer tells me. I will learn. Lol

Comment

If anyone is interested, picked the car up tonight & the dealer has ordered a new part & will contact me to arrange fitting... Doing it under warranty, so happy with that.

Strangly, no error code was recorded... so does that imply they acknowledge the sensors are unreliable & are replacing it on my word the fault was occurring? (i.e. unofficial recall??)

From the replies you all have posted, get them booked into be replaced if possible!!

I'll keep you updated after new sensor is fitted!!

Comment

the light is for low pressure not for low level and isnt affected by when the service is due, thats the insp on the dash

Comment

Originally posted by dougallvxtech View Post
                        the light is for low pressure not for low level and isnt affected by when the service is due, thats the insp on the dash
                        The yellow light is for the level and the red one is for pressure is it not

Comment

Let us know what they replace Ill do it myself.
                          sigpic

Team HARD.
                          ...I'm a Regal dare devil...

Comment

Happened to me, once, about 10 months ago, on motorway, level was fine.

Since then everything was fine until Wednesday, driving from Wiltshire to Durham and the low level light was on.
                            I was fairly shifting on the motorway so perhaps it didn't like the cornering, but the level was and still is fine and a more gentle run back home meant it didn't come on at all. Booked into the dealers for Monday.
                            I'll let you know what the outcome will be.

Comment

It happened to me 2 years ago coming down the M6 toll road. Got it checked out & found the oil level sensor was faulty. Local dealer fixed it under warranty so was well chuffed.

Comment

Working...
                              X