This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• main cat removal questions.

I have currently got only the center silencer removed and liking the extra noise ,now im thinking of removing the cat as well I know it will still pass MOT and all that but I need to know that Im not removing torque too.

Are there any other before and after dyno graphs with this mod done?

I remember spoons removing his cat and silencer with a dyno run before and after and loosing around 40 ft/lb so that is holding me back,now this was a while back so there may now be a map tweak to put this right.

Im sure the more tech minded guys on here can set me right
    VXR with extra mojo
    300.4 bhp and 391 ft/lb Dap Remap
    Center silence removed
    DAP R springs now fitted

Would you be able to get a dyno run before and after this mod?

Very important to do a new dyno before, then after on the same dyno with the same operator and conditions.

Would be interested to see the result on another car

Comment

There is lots of members with both removed and still getting 300 bhp and near 400ft/lb.

What makes me a little more wondersome is the fact that I had a dyno run at courts and got 300 bhp and 394 ft/lb then had my silencer removed and a few months later had a dyno run at a vec c meet at pd tunning and only managed 278 bhp and 368ft/lb, now I know its not ideal situation but that seems a masive difference.
      VXR with extra mojo
      Center silence removed
      DAP R springs now fitted

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
        Would you be able to get a dyno run before and after this mod?

Very important to do a new dyno before, then after on the same dyno with the same operator and conditions.

Would be interested to see the result on another car
        Im not that well off at the mo so 2 dyno runs would be a stretch but would be very interesting to see.

Have you had yours removed steve if so did you notice any difference in performance.
        VXR with extra mojo
        Center silence removed
        DAP R springs now fitted

Comment

Originally posted by shippers View Post
          Im not that well off at the mo so 2 dyno runs would be a stretch but would be very interesting to see.
          I know what you mean.. its a pain...

Originally posted by shippers View Post
          Have you had yours removed steve if so did you notice any difference in performance.
          I put my cat back on the car...

All I can say is that I had the car dyno'd..

Then the CAT removed...

Then dyno'd again afterwards on the same dyno with the same operator and lost 40 Lb/ft torque

I dont know any more than the Dyno results? So put the CAT back on and left it at that.

Still does Qtr Mile at Santa Pod in 14.3 seconds... so it isnt slow

Comment

My guess is... and I stress its just a guess....

The standard VXR Turbo is pretty much stretched to maximum with a Stage 1 Remap. There isnt a lot left to give, so messing around with back pressure (ie CAT removal) wont be any benefit unless you have installed a bigger Turbo, Remap, Intercooler and Watercooler etc..

I stand to be corrected on this though

Comment

I wouldn't correct you on that Spoons, I think your spot on. I have the pre-cat removed and run a 200 cell cat, and saw no power increase, even with a slight map tweek. Saw an additional 20lbft mid- range and the car responded slightly quicker down at low rpm but no increase in power.

Comment

I'm I not right in thinking that both TMS & MPG have both gone down this route with some success, perhaps worth a call to these two tuners in paricular to discuss what they do and whats achieved with their setups ???

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/p...=23_933_79_102

http://www.midpointgarage.co.uk/Vect...-packages.html
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X