Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

track ready?? what do i need?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • track ready?? what do i need?

    Well after the weekend, watching in awe at the astras out on track, I really wanted to take my car on track, but was too scared to incase something went wrong and I couldn't get home,

    So the misses has agreed if I really want to get into track driving, I can have a budget to upgrade my car,

    Question is, what should I be looking at? My thoughts are

    Billstein B12 shocks with dap springs on front,
    Eibach on the rear
    LSD
    Proxys, R888 or T1r's?
    Brake upgrade AP's or alcons?
    Cooling upgrade, water rad and home mods
    Maybe some more power but not really necessary right now,

    I don't mean I want to go into competition or anything, just on track sometimes, like at power events etc,
    Is there anything else I can do, or would I be wasting my money trying to track the vec?

    I know some will say its fart but surely the vec can be a capable car on track and hold its own?
    sigpic

  • #2
    Originally posted by stewarty-vxr View Post
    Well after the weekend, watching in awe at the astras out on track, I really wanted to take my car on track, but was too scared to incase something went wrong and I couldn't get home,

    So the misses has agreed if I really want to get into track driving, I can have a budget to upgrade my car,

    Question is, what should I be looking at? My thoughts are

    Billstein B12 shocks with dap springs on front,
    Eibach on the rear
    LSD
    Proxys, R888 or T1r's?
    Brake upgrade AP's or alcons?
    Cooling upgrade, water rad and home mods
    Maybe some more power but not really necessary right now,

    I don't mean I want to go into competition or anything, just on track sometimes, like at power events etc,
    Is there anything else I can do, or would I be wasting my money trying to track the vec?

    I know some will say its fart but surely the vec can be a capable car on track and hold its own?
    Well considering it won BTCC a few years running I should think it's well capable.

    Bigger brakes and better pads are a must as the heat from track use will create fade big time on the std setup.

    Shocks and springs are also a must, coil overs are your safest bet if your planning on real fun but lowering springs would be fine if it's just for the odd occassion.

    Cooling, again if it's for the odd bit of fun then the std setup is fine, but if your really wanting to push it hard then Courts cooling setup is probs the best way to go.

    LSD for track is essential.

    Tyres - well Proxies and T1'rs are one and the same anyway and are very good for road use but for track I would use 888's every time.


    Hope this helps Stew.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Voxer View Post
      Well considering it won BTCC a few years running I should think it's well capable.
      +1
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        did you no see all those standard cars at the power fest out on track spend your money on a decent set of tyres and tuition .

        I saw some big cars fall behind at the weekend due to drivers lack of skill .

        dont fall into the trap of ohh i need this i need that etc etc belive m i have been there get out on track get some tution and upgrade the car slowly as YOU progress

        hth arron

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheers Neil, yea I'm trying to balance cost, with best available setup but also not to rattle my teeth out lol,

          I'm thinking seperatly wheels for track days that I can change over, as it will only be a couple of times a year at max mate,

          Think il do handling first, I was thinking the shocks and springs over coilovers so I can drive it as normal but I know what your saying, it wouldn't be pushed too hard but would lobe to be able to take it out and have a little fun
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Voxer View Post
            Well considering it won BTCC a few years running I should think it's well capable.

            Bigger brakes and better pads are a must as the heat from track use will create fade big time on the std setup.

            Shocks and springs are also a must, coil overs are your safest bet if your planning on real fun but lowering springs would be fine if it's just for the odd occassion.

            Cooling, again if it's for the odd bit of fun then the std setup is fine, but if your really wanting to push it hard then Courts cooling setup is probs the best way to go.

            LSD for track is essential.

            Tyres - well Proxies and T1'rs are one and the same anyway and are very good for road use but for track I would use 888's every time.


            Hope this helps Stew.
            alot of this is not needed for a first few track times brakes will be fine just doing 15 min sesions at a time get an open pit lane booked then you can choose the session time .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by A2ON View Post
              Upgrade the car slowly as YOU progress

              hth arron
              Bloody good advise m8, well said.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by A2ON View Post
                alot of this is not needed for a first few track times brakes will be fine just doing 15 min sesions at a time get an open pit lane booked then you can choose the session time .
                Yes for the most part std setup is fine as I had said but if stew wants to really get into it, the Vec can benefit very much from the above.

                Tuned Vecs generate a hell of a lot of torque through the fronts and if your going to track it then LSD is essential, even if it's just for short track stints, and uprated pads would suffice for short runs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yea I know what you mean totally, just want to be able to have some fun at these events like you astra boys, but don't want the car to fall apart and I can't get home lol,

                  was thinking of doing some track time, but I'm not going to go out and drive it at a million miles an hour round track, just wanna have some fun and use the car for what it was built for if that makes sence?
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stewarty-vxr View Post
                    Yea I know what you mean totally, just want to be able to have some fun at these events like you astra boys, but don't want the car to fall apart and I can't get home lol,

                    was thinking of doing some track time, but I'm not going to go out and drive it at a million miles an hour round track, just wanna have some fun and use the car for what it was built for if that makes sence?
                    Just upgrade your pads and your set then Stew you already have a good eenough setup for basic track fun(remember your plugs though so you can go back to full power).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stewarty-vxr View Post
                      Yea I know what you mean totally, just want to be able to have some fun at these events like you astra boys, but don't want the car to fall apart and I can't get home lol,

                      was thinking of doing some track time, but I'm not going to go out and drive it at a million miles an hour round track, just wanna have some fun and use the car for what it was built for if that makes sence?
                      It makes perfect sense mate we have all been there but you have to be so carefull that you dont get the forum "blinkers" on and think ahh this is crap this is crap its understeering i have brake fade etc etc and blame the car the sad truth is as i know all to well the car is all but capable in the hands of someone who knows what there doing.

                      To put this into context i binned one of the astras at the power fest in my first time out in them , trying to do to much to quick and forgot it did not handle like the clio lolo anyway 5-6 sessions later in the same car with the same instructor . i was on it really i was , not being big headed or nout but raining in some insignias and other astras all in one session the last lap the instructor said it was a very quick lap (still buzzing about this now lol)just goes to show , the weak part of the car and the thing mot likley to hamper track times is the soft sqidgy bit behind the steering wheel.

                      Saying that ill forget everything the instructor told me no doubt by the next sessions lol damm goldfish brain

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Then had a hot lap in another STANDARD astra and ohh my god . upgrades nahhhhh mate that thing standard or not flew and i mean FLEW .

                        ps sorry keep talking about astras lol

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lol yes there capable in the hands of a btcc driver lol, but il never be one so il need mechanical parts to help with that plus its not there car so they can throw them around how they like

                          Il have a good think, but thanks for all the advice from everyone so far, glad I started this now as I'd have went out and bought stuff I probably won't need lol,

                          Agree with Neil tho, an LSD is a must, oh and tyres
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And one more thing



























































                            A helmet hahahahaha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Iv got one of them I forgot to take it to my insignia session too lol, so it was hairnet and oversized bucket for me
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X