• Show
Clear All

• potentially stupid expensive idea

Bare with me here

the Vec is a great car but lacks traction
    The Saab 9-3 is based on the vectra and they also have the 9-3 x turbo
    Which is awd

see where I'm going here

The question is does anyone have the huge amount of cash required to make a vec awd or would it still be massively cheaper to buy the Saab

Ok it is a stupid idea but it has just given me a better one.

And yes I have just commented on my own post.

Better idea Steve and Stew your both looking for better handling If the Saab Aero's also have IDS+2 do hirsch have any suspension upgrades that would benefit us on the Vec

Comment

Originally posted by vxrossco View Post
      Bare with me here

the Vec is a great car but lacks traction
      The Saab 9-3 is based on the vectra and they also have the 9-3 x turbo
      Which is awd

see where I'm going here

The question is does anyone have the huge amount of cash required to make a vec awd or would it still be massively cheaper to buy the Saab
      You're going to need to transplant so many parts to get this to work that you'd end up with basically a 9-3 in a Vectra shell. And whether you'd be able to get the ECU's inside the car (such as those in the clocks, CIM, stereo, display, climate, etc. etc.) to mate up with the 9-3 ECUs is a big unknown. The clocks and the CIM are part of the immobiliser so it really is important that it works.

For so much work and uncertainty you'd be better off just getting the SAAB.
      sigpic
      SMD conversions, cruise control, speed dependent locking/anti-hijack, check control programming, diagnostics, software updates - based in West Yorkshire
      Radios and displays decoded/divorced without the code
      Genuine Vetronix Tech2 with SPS and ******** used - no Chinese clone stuff here

Comment

I asked a similar question ages ago buddy, tuners didn't want to know really,
        Thinking of it now it would be a waste of cash,
        I'm going down the coilover route and LSD I think this setup will certainly be a massive win
        sigpic

Comment

Buy an insignia or the turbo X
          sigpic

Comment

Friend of mine suggested the other day that the SAAB has the same running gear and engine as the Insignia VXR, but for '000s less

He also suggested I considered that as my next purchase...

Comment

Working...
            X