X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems starting after refuel.

Hey Guys.
    I finally have my ex police Vectra VXR estate on the road now.
    After a couple of months ripping out the excess wiring and such, I am pleased to say the car is now back to standard??? (As standard as it can be, seeing as it isn't 'standard' in the first place!)

Everything is good, all the electrics work as they should, apart from one small issue.

The car starts and runs flawlessly every time, apart from the first time after a refuel - i.e in the petrol station!

It fires up, then stalls pretty much instantly. It then takes a good 10 seconds of cranking and the feathering of the throttle pedal to get it to spring into life. It then idles rough for perhaps 20 seconds, and then everything is fine.

I have no problems until i come to refuel! It's rather annoying and embarrassing at the same time!

Any ideas on what it could be? The K light isn't on the dash.

Could it be a tank pressure issue, seeing as i am opening the tank, and then seeing the problems?

I'll put a piccy up soon, if people are interested in seeing what one of these looks like with a bit of tlc?

Cheers in advance!
    Andy.

What happens when you unscrew the cap after say half a tank or even a 1/4 left with no refill ???
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ezeepzee View Post
      Hey Guys.
      I finally have my ex police Vectra VXR estate on the road now.
      After a couple of months ripping out the excess wiring and such, I am pleased to say the car is now back to standard??? (As standard as it can be, seeing as it isn't 'standard' in the first place!)

Everything is good, all the electrics work as they should, apart from one small issue.

The car starts and runs flawlessly every time, apart from the first time after a refuel - i.e in the petrol station!

It fires up, then stalls pretty much instantly. It then takes a good 10 seconds of cranking and the feathering of the throttle pedal to get it to spring into life. It then idles rough for perhaps 20 seconds, and then everything is fine.

I have no problems until i come to refuel! It's rather annoying and embarrassing at the same time!

Any ideas on what it could be? The K light isn't on the dash.

Could it be a tank pressure issue, seeing as i am opening the tank, and then seeing the problems?

I'll put a piccy up soon, if people are interested in seeing what one of these looks like with a bit of tlc?

Cheers in advance!
      Andy.
      I was told from a reliable source(about a year ago) that this seems to happen on the police vxr's, from what I was told they fitted a new fuel tank with an altered pump inside, I don't know where they sourced it from(sorry) it was just what I was told when I had issues with my car a while back as at one point they thought this might be the cause of my problems.(it wasn't though).

Comment

It's certainly something to do with refueling. Taking the fuel cap off makes no difference, it only causes problems when i put fuel in the car.

Had it on Tech 2 and no fault codes (I guess i didn't do too much of a bad job pulling all the wiring out then!)

Any ideas?
        It doesn't make any logical sense!!!

Comment

I too have an ex-police 'vxr' and it has exactly the same problem!! Haven't managed to solve it yet, however.............Managed to get a brand new and boxed fuel pump of ebay recently for £60 inc p&p. Didn't solve the problem but at least we now know what's not causing the problem so that's 1 less thing you need to try. Sorry I can't tell you what the solution is, but I can tell you what is isn't. (Still have the problem, just learned to put up with it until I can be bothered to tackle it some more!)

Comment

the evap valve? Purge valve?
            If the purge valve was stuck open, the fumes can "flood" the engine while refueling. Try holding the throttle wide open when you start after refueling to clear the vapor quickly..

I don't know exactly what the police change when making these cars, but we shall need to find out, in order to find out what the problem is, maybe vauxhall will know what they change?
            sigpic

Comment

Seems odd that it happens to ex-police cars tho, hmm
              sigpic

Comment

I have a mate who works in the traffic police, he drives a veccy estate, I'll ask him over the weekend I it happens to him, and if it does/did, what they have done to combat it

Comment

wow! Not checked this for a while, and im surprised to see the same fault on another one. I too, have come to the conclusion it isn't the fuel pump as i can hear it running/priming correctly. Many thanks for your reply, Cuchulain. I guess it is kind-of good news that two are doing it.

I too, am just putting up with it at the moment. Pay-at-pump works quite well!! Fill it up with the engine still running! bahahaha!

It's totally baffling! What a strange fault. If i figure it out, i'll post on here as soon as!

Thanks for that tip, Stewarty-VXR. I'll give that one a try next time.

As for what they change, god knows. I have the full breakdown of what the car comes with out the factory, even going down to the heated washerjets! - no mention of a fuel tank change/fuel system change though :S
                  Last edited by ezeepzee; 20 September 2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Did you find a solution for this? Mine has the same problem but Vauxhall don't know what it is so I just put up with it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X