This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Stuff

I'm going to post this as, not so much as a warning, but something to think about. In a recent 'test' against another high performance car, i was sad to say that the vectra let me down. Not as some may think in the performance, which i am mightily impressed with, but WITH THE BRAKES ! Under fairly heavy deceleration from 150 mph, the vectra failed to slow down enough to make the next corner. In fact, no matter how hard the pedal was pressed, it made little difference. I managed to somehow get round the corner whilst still braking, which is far from ideal. I had little choice. The car lost traction but somehow managed to get through it. To be honest i lost faith in the brakes from then on. Don't get me wrong, normally the brakes are fine and very good, and continue to be, but under this sort of driving when the brakes need to be spot on, they were not. Now i am led to believe that vauxhall have fitted the biggest brakes to date on these cars, but for whatever reason, maybe boiling fluid, i don't know, they didn't work when i really needed them to. As far as i'm concerned a car with such good performance should have the brakes to match, i am, to say the least, a little disappointed. I think generally the car is great and i really enjoy it, but i think this is worthy of a mention. Anyone else come across this ?

Regards

Daz

The speed says it all....dont get me wrong, i'm not having a pop at you for doing it (i've done it myself) but prepare to get flamed.

Any car travelling at that speed will have problems scrubbing off that sort of speed in a hurry unless they have proper racing spec brakes and fluid.

The Monaro VXR LS2 is supposed to have big brakes, and although they are good for normal day-to-day running, even with a little bit of "gusto", if you keep on it, they soon loose there effeciency, that's why you have the option to fork over another £2K+ for the AP kit, which I understand is A+ on the track.

I'm sure VPC will have brake upgrades for the next time.

PS: If you have boiled the filuid, I would strongly recommend fluid change

Comment

I think you may be reading this slightly wrong, no offence intended, but i was extremely surprised by the lack of even adequate stopping. I didn't and have never thought that they were racing quality brakes, but perhaps expected better. The distance to stop was reasonably long, even at that speed and no other heavy braking had occured on the test day. Yes i can take your point that you can't expect fantastic performance from 'standard' brakes and i also understand that high speed needs some reasonable planning but i was very surprised nonetheless. As for expecting to get flamed, well, i wanted to enjoy the thrill of the day, and and was eager to put the car through it's paces. I also would have thought that putting this 'information' on the forum might make someone think before it's too late, so let the flaming commence :?
      The application of the brakes was by no means panic stations right up until i started to worry about the state of my underwear. I sincerely hope that modified brakes will become available for this model because in my view it's a worthwhile investment.

Regards

Daz

Comment

Originally posted by DT
        ...no offence intended...
        None taken...

Originally posted by DT
        but i was extremely surprised by the lack of even adequate stopping. I didn't and have never thought that they were racing quality brakes, but perhaps expected better.
        Manufacturers are all too keen to make a car go fast but never seem to get the braking system right. Had several cars now where brakes were no match for performace and had to upgrade the brakes to get them to stop, my Corvette was the worst.

Originally posted by DT
        I also would have thought that putting this 'information' on the forum might make someone think before it's too late, so let the flaming commence :?
        Sensible idea - information is the most potent of all weapons

Comment

I think you are right about the ' lets make it go, then think about the stopping' attitude. Unfortunately vauxhall do rave on about the brakes on this car, which could i suppose lead some people into a sort of false sense of security or as myself, perhaps expecting a little too much. The car, very much like the monaro, is heavy which doesn't help the braking issue in the slightest. Oh well, CAR = 1, PANTS = 0

Regards

Daz

Comment

i know 888 are developing upgrades for the vectra and i know they are big on safety (brakes) as well as additional power, im currently awaiting the AP 4 pots they are about to release, trust me the astra VXR brakes aint as good as the vectras but still do the job but i wont be to suprised that a brake upgrade for the vectra will soon follow, possibly a 6 pot maybe

Comment

Daz,
              Rather surprised to hear this as the German engineers are rather proud of the Vectra brakng performance. Seems like this was a one off brake down to stop rather than repeated ones which makes it all the more odd.

Are you local , if so I'd like to have a look at it and compare to our ones here.

We've 66 Vectra VXR estates with the police so I'll ask them on this issue as well ( not the speed you where doing on a private road )

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by the vxr mothership
                Daz,
                Rather surprised to hear this as the German engineers are rather proud of the Vectra brakng performance. Seems like this was a one off brake down to stop rather than repeated ones which makes it all the more odd.

Are you local , if so I'd like to have a look at it and compare to our ones here.

We've 66 Vectra VXR estates with the police so I'll ask them on this issue as well ( not the speed you where doing on a private road )

Stu
                I have to say im with Stu on this, the braking performance on the Vectra was first class. Much better than the Astra and on a par with any performance car I have driven.

Comment

What DOT spec brake fluid is the VXR filled with as standard?

Perhaps a higher spec fluid might also help.

Thanks for the info...

Just as an aside, I was nearly "collected" on my way home from work last friday morning at 6.30am, I noticed this car coming up quite quickly behind me on the bypass (eastern primary) that runs round Telford, anyway I moved over to the inside lane as this was my route through the traffic lights ahead and in the right hand lane was a white tranny van, anyway the car with his headlights on (still a bit dimpsy) was nearly on top of us by then, anyway the mad sod shot through the gap between me in the left lane and the van in right lane, well I flashed my lights and the bloke driving the van, horns and hand signs

Well we crossed the traffic lights and into a slight bend, well I thought to myself, matey boy in what turned out to be a red fiesta was carrying far too much speed into the very slight bend, well the back end slightly stepped out and before he knew it the car then broke away as he tried to collect it, it went right then left, mounted the kerb and smashed into a road sign, which folded on half, i managed to slow right down and went round him, stopping up the road, well he backed it out of the sign post and got it back on the road, both front tyres were knackered and the drivers side front wheel, couldn't see that much damage to the front. Anyway an old boy in a silver mondeo also stopped and asked me if I was alright as he'd this loon shoot through the gap, I said yeah I'm okay a bit shakey as it happened all so quickly, well the mad ike in the Fiesta got the car back up on the grass verge and got out of the car, we asked him if he was alright and if he wanted us the call for the Police or an ambulance, but he no he was okay. He then told us he was late for work!!!!! Well I said to him, you will be now. I asked him what posessed him to drive at that speed across the junction, he shrugged his shoulders and returned to his wrecked fiesta.

Hopefully he won't be late again.... :?

Comment

Brakes are fine on mine....in fact too good nearly had a few guys into the back of me.

Might be your braking technique...tyr pumping them to release the gas buildup next time ;>
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. DOT 4 is standard so i'm told. Asked about 5 today, local dealer going to look into it. Stu, i'm west mids based if thats any good

Regards

Daz

Comment

thanks for the note Daz.

I have not noticed a problem ... but might test soon.

When my car had the recall (heated washers), Whitmores said my brake fluid was low .... but get this did not top it up ..
                        2007 Audi RS4 - sold 2008

Comment

Had you done much heavy braking before that stint? sounds as though the pads etc have overheated greatly reducing the braking efficiency, which to be fair wold be expected under heavy breaking from those speeds. Not had a problem with mines, they do scrub off speed pretty well but as with everything they can always be improved. If your going to be doing a lot of heavy/high speed breaking then you would be well worth upgrading to the AP kit that VXR PC are working on.

Comment

Working...
                          X