This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectra work starts at Courtenays

So the Vectra has been sent to Courtenays for the start of the mods. As there is only 1,800 miles on the car it was a good idea to check the BHP and Torque for readings. The air temp was at 23 degrees and the runs where consistant. It was pleasing to see the figures where spot as per the VXL figures and this can be used as the base line now. I guess after a few more miles on the clock we may see some minor increases.

Well your Vec was in bits when I saw it this morning So was Johnny N's Vec-b, but my Signum was all ready for collection, just strutbrace fitted

Comment

Is this the gearbox going in now?
      sigpic

Comment

Hopefully, seems the F40 has mnay bell housing assoicated with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
          Hopefully, seems the F40 has mnay bell housing assoicated with it!!
          Well it was the gearbox they said was being worked on....replacement !
          Seems they got your order right then Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Trel
            Well your Vec was in bits when I saw it this morning So was Johnny N's Vec-b, but my Signum was all ready for collection, just strutbrace fitted
            What is a model/producer of this strutbrace?

Comment

Picked up the Vectra today, with its new gearbox, 100 cell cat and new air filter. All works fine. The new box has added a good amount of sparkle to the car and 2nd and 3rd gears are very swift now ( not that they where that slow in any form). The 5th gear acceleration has improved a great deal, cutting nearly 2 seconds off the 50-70 accleration time. On the motorway 6th gear has risen to 2600rpm at 70. 3rd gear can be easily used around town without feeling that at 30mph the engine is not going to start labouring.

The common boom below 2000rpm is highly reduced but I feel this is mainly due to the CAT, not the gearbox.

Precat was not removed on the car.

Fuel consumption is as expected down on the motorway only returning 35mpg at steady 70 but up by a tad overall. The car responds allot faster and at one point the TC could not keep up and went home!!!

Very please with the start considering the gearbox was from the Vauxhall parts bin.

Roll on the remaps!!!!

Comment

All sounds good.

Will John be offering this soon as a complete package, gearbox etc or is it a case of asking for it?
                sigpic

Comment

I am not sure, I think he will want to get some more feed back from me and some other folks first before moving on. I am sure though if you asked for it he will sort it out for you. It does work well though. One corner I usually go through near home at full throttle in 2nd gear with ease, required feathering a fraction tonight as the car was accelerating allot quicker than is use too.

Comment

Perhaps Mark as you suggested I should px the Astra for a heavily discounted Vectra. I think I saw Caspy doing them for £19,995 (a lot less than my Vectra was at £25K).

How much is the mod that you have had done?

Comment

Mark,

What was wrong with the original gearbox?

Catherine,

That price is a one owner car! although you get the car on the day its delivered to the dealers, the garage hold onto to the V5 for x amount of days. Also GMAC will not finance the deal so you will have to shop around if you want the car on "tick" Can't say as I know many people with £20K in their pocket!!!

Comment

For me the standard box is just a littel too long legged. By fitting the new box we manged to lower 2nd from an indicated 70 to 62, and of course all the others in the same fashion. One thing to say is that 6th has the same accleartion more or less than the old 5th. Top speed is reduced if you could get to the red line down to about 175ish. The box is still an F40 with a lowered final drive.

This is not the cheapest job and difficult to really get a measure of how much BHP increase it equals too, but to lower the 50-70 by nearly 2 secs in 5th is a fair chance its about 25bhp. Its really a bit of an unknown, I am guessing a little here, apart from the fact it works and works fairley well.

Comment

Working...
                        X