X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front fog light trim and chrome ring removal

Hi all,
    Has anybody removed the black trim and chrome foglight trim, I've looked all over for how to's but I can't find any with any kind of detailed breakdown of what you need to do, although one mentioned that you use a screwdriver to gently prize the top of the black trim out and that makes it possible to remove the chrome ring. I have got some Laminex yellow light film that I want to fit but I would prefer to remove the ring so I can cover all of the lense and trim it nicely at the edges, got some H11 yellow bulbs to go in too, I think it'll look nice. Ive thought about doing it for a while but couldn't resist after watching this years Le-mans and Nurburgring 24hrs. Oh, and if anybody wants to clean their foglight lenses, don't bother with headlight cleaning kits.............use toothpaste hee hee hee, gonna try it tonight and see how they turn out.............
    martin fletcher
    VXRed
    Last edited by martin fletcher; 3 July 2011, 10:22 AM. Reason: Toothpaste breakthrough

+1 good question.......i wanna do mine next week...
    i did hear somewhere that the chrome bits just pull out??? maybe i dreamt it as i do dream about her quite a lot
    sigpic

Comment

Well I've actually answered my own question about an hour ago by doing it. I had an old t_shirt in the garage that I used to cover the end of a medium flat blade screw driver and carefully prized the black trim away starting from the middle and working my way round the outside of the trim right into both corners. Their are 4 clips on the top, 1 clip on the side and 2 clips on the bottom edge. Once you have eased the top out, move round to the side the not should pop out without touching the bottom clips. It is a good opportunity to check that your brake cooling ducts are in place ad my passenger side one had came off the clip. Once the trim is out you can get at the foglight itself. It is held in with 2x20 torx screws. Take the screws out, pop the connector and the foglight is out. The chrome ring is indeed on 4 clips at 12,3,6,& 9 positions which pops off easy. The real revelation though is the toothpaste...........not only did it clean up the foglight lense, the finish not perfect but cleaner nevertheless, but the chrome rings, I wondered what would happen if I cleaned them with it............unbelievable is all I can say, rub it in with your fingers in a circular motion all over the ring and wow, they look brand new, iam not kidding, toothpaste is the unknown miracle in detailing hee hee hee, iam going to try it on the chrome trim that runs along the window line next. COLGATE ADVANCED WHITE With Micro-Cleansing Crystals, £1.50, Tesco, i'll say it again................UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

well done Martin...nice post thanks. will try the toothpaste.
        do you have to remove the black cover just to remove the chrome ring? thinking of spraying mine.....
        sigpic

Comment

My Other half is a Dental Nurse and just went a bit mental over the toothpaste !! she says oh why not use my opalescence toothpaste, its only 22 quid a tube on special import from america...you should have seen her face when I asked her if I could use her sonicare brush as well

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Rotherham View Post
            My Other half is a Dental Nurse and just went a bit mental over the toothpaste !! she says oh why not use my opalescence toothpaste, its only 22 quid a tube on special import from america...you should have seen her face when I asked her if I could use her sonicare brush as well
            lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thereplicant View Post
              well done Martin...nice post thanks. will try the toothpaste.
              do you have to remove the black cover just to remove the chrome ring? thinking of spraying mine.....
              Yes mate, you do have to remove the black trim as the ring is clipped into it. I was also thinking about spraying it with some crackle black spray I have but I can't help thinking that it'll just fade into the black trim without making any visual impact.
              The future of detailing smells minty fresh ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
              X