This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Gear VXR got Hammered by the ST220

What do you peeps think of the slating the vectra got against th ST220???

Even though the Vectra has more poer the ST220 chassis seems better at getting it on the road!

What are peoples thoughts?

I think the Vectra would be an excellent car in the states as they don't have corners or turns in the road! Clarkson gave it the slating it deserved - the ST220 seems to have some thought put into it, the Vectra (as with the Chavalier) is a dull car with zero character!

:P

Comment

Im sure the members of this site will not rise to such baiting. How coincidental that the pair of you join on the same day within 20 minutes of each other.

Perhaps Mod's would like to check IP addresses for these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine
        Im sure the members of this site will not rise to such baiting. How coincidental that the pair of you join on the same day within 20 minutes of each other.

Perhaps Mod's would like to check IP addresses for these people.
        Perhaps they will, perhaps they'll see that they are different! :P

I have raised valid points about the Vectra - obviously you see the handling issues of the Vectra as being "Bait" . Now that's a real charming way to refer to your motor's design flaws!

But bear in mind, it is only the Vectra that I speak of...Vauxhall produces other vehicles, perhaps your narrow vision limits you to the Vectra then? How sad...

Enjoy your "bait"... :mrgreen:

Comment

Hmmm

Just joined today(this moment actually)... and NO I'm not with these new members... I'm actually considering buying a new 'Hot-saloon' and I'm stuck between the Vectra and ST220.

I was definately going to buy the Veccy VXR before I saw Top Gear... even though I never plan to do a trackday but now I'm swaying towards Ford because of the depreciation.

Honest opinions and I know this is a Vectra forum so you will defend it but what would I get best bang for my buck for?

New Mondeo Mk4 ST (yet to be revealed)
          Or the 2007 Vectra with 270bhp?

270bhp sounds like a lot for the front wheels to me.

Comment

If you can afford it go for Astra or Focus ST - both did well on 5th Gear.

Comment

But doesn't the Astra VXR suffer from terrible torque steer? Or was that Clarkson making it look bad?

I'm REALLY looking for a fast saloon, so I'm not considering Hot hatches.

I mean I've got a 750 Ducati that gives me all the speed I need, this is for fun on the way to work and wintery weekends.

Comment

The astra/vectra will both suffer from torque steer in the same way that your Ducati will suffer from the front wheel lifting if you don`t know how to drive it, floor it in every gear you will get it. Progressive power and it`s not a problem, if you buy a 200+ bhp car you need to know how to drive ...

I do feel that this thread is a wind up though, trying to flame an arguement ...

Comment

No-one should ever take any notice of a Vauxhall review on TopGear particularly where Clarkson is concerned. He doesn't like them (except the vx220 and Monaro) and never has any praise for them.

Anyone can go out in a powerful car with traction off and floor it and get huge amounts of understeer. That is not the way to drive these cars, pointless. If I remember correctly they only did that in the Vectra not the Ford. I'm sure the Ford would have understeered as well, any car would.

I've driven the Vectra VXR round Brands Hatch for 3 laps and I found it to be a nice car to drive. Okay I wasn't going particularly fast (it was wet and I had an instructor next to me) but it was okay. Couldn't really test the car. However, I don't believe anything that was said on TopGear. It's an entertainment show and nothing more. Clarkson likes Ford, not sure why as his GT40 spends most of it's time with Ford!!

As for the Astra: I have an Astra VXR and if I believed what Clarkson said then I wouldn't have got it. I have a stage 1 remap on my car which means between 270-280 bhp or there abouts and even with TC off and in the wet I have no problem with the handling. The handling is superb and a lot of fun. I've also driven it at Snetterton race circuit on a track day with other VXR owners and we all said we never had any torque steer. There most probably was some as you'd expect but not enough to notice! The Fifth Gear review was much better and done with a balance view. Clarkson was just making the point about how much power it had, he did the same with the Alfa GTA.

Anyway, don't know if that is what you wanted from your bait but hey. No doubt this forum is suddenly getting a lot of hits directed from some Ford forum!

Comment

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by nashim
                    Just joined today(this moment actually)... and NO I'm not with these new members... I'm actually considering buying a new 'Hot-saloon' and I'm stuck between the Vectra and ST220.

I was definately going to buy the Veccy VXR before I saw Top Gear... even though I never plan to do a trackday but now I'm swaying towards Ford because of the depreciation.

Honest opinions and I know this is a Vectra forum so you will defend it but what would I get best bang for my buck for?

New Mondeo Mk4 ST (yet to be revealed)
                    Or the 2007 Vectra with 270bhp?

270bhp sounds like a lot for the front wheels to me.
                    Hi Nashim,

Well the best thing to do is not to take much notice of these car reviews imo. Make your own mind up by test driving them yourself. You'll get first hand experience of what the car is like yourself.

As for the power, I'd doubt it would be a problem in the Vectra. I can't say myself as I have an Astra and the power in that is no problem at all. The remap (which is affectly all the increased power on the Vectra is) changes the car completely and makes it even more of a pleasure to drive. The tourque it produces is amazing and is great for overtaking. Obviosuly with all that power at the front wheels you have to learn to drive it. Flooring it in first with the TC off will get you tourque steer as already mentioned but if you feed the power in it is quick of the line with sport on and TC off.

I don't know if anyone on here has had the remap on the Vectra but if anyone has then I'm sure they can give their opinion on the extra power.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by drum_dude
                      I think the Vectra would be an excellent car in the states as they don't have corners or turns in the road! Clarkson gave it the slating it deserved - the ST220 seems to have some thought put into it, the Vectra (as with the Chavalier) is a dull car with zero character!

:P
                      just out of interest, have you driven a vectra VXR

Comment

Had driven the st220 and the vectra vxr on test drives before i chose the vxr. The mondeo, although nice to drive, didn't have the same feel as the vectra, in fact on the handling issue, they both were equally as good, but i found the vectra had more oomph and was a more exciting drive. I had equal like for both but chose the vauxhall for the above facts and the way it looks. I actually thought that the ford was a bit plain in my opinion. Maybe depreciation will be a bit worse than the ford, but is that why you buy a car ? To me it's about the driving first, the depreciation last, well to me it is and i'm sure many buyers of performance cars would agree, anyway, thats my opinion for what it's worth..

Regards

Daz

Comment

Yes I have.

I've always found that GM engines have a lot more omph in them then their Ford counterparts. The 8v OHC 2.0i was a heck of a lot better then the Ford OHC 2.0i and DOHC 2.0i in the Sierras...apart from the 2.0i 16v Cossie lump of course :P

Comment

Hello Drum_dude,

The TG show, was just that a show .... make it dramatic ...

As I have have in my signature ... the Stig can't drive, you just don't drive like that to get a quick time.

I feel there is NOTHING wrong with the car and as much fun as a 996 C4 ... oh wow Clarkson thinks they are crap as well ....

The VXR's are performance bargains and loose a lot less money over time than a Porsche ... as they cost less !
                            2007 Audi RS4 - sold 2008

Comment

What a way to treat new memebers I don't think I will bother with this site I will just stick to the other vauxhall site as it seems to be and vauxhall blooded lot here with high blood pressures!!

Comment

Working...
                              X