Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xenons - Any Good? AFL Worth The Extra Cost?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenons - Any Good? AFL Worth The Extra Cost?

This is my first time on this forum, I must say I've enjoyed reading the through on here over the last few days particularly since I'm considering swapping my company Mondeo ST for a VXR

My remaining queries are regarding the standard headlamps (Xenons / AFL set up)

1.) I've got Xenons on my Mondeo and, to be perfectly honest, they're crap! They're noticably 'dimmer' than many modern cars running Halogens. BTW I had a 2002 3.2GSi Vectra with Xenons and they weren't great either.

I do loads of miles (1000 to 1200 per week), spend a lot of time in Scotland in Winter and I'm really hoping the VXR's standard lamps are good...if they're not is the AFL worth opting for?

PS I had a 1998 Omega Elite with Xenons (one of the first on the road with Xenons) and they where absolutely superb - never had a car since with lamps anything like 'em!

2). If you stick with the standard Xenons I assume they're dip beam only with Halogen mains whereas the AFL gives Xenon dip/main with halogen 'assist' on main?

I'm waiting for a VXR on the Vauxhall fleet 3 day demo scheme so, hopefully, I'll be able to judge the standard set up for myself though your comments / info will be much appreciated.

Don't know about the Vectra, but assume it is similar to Astra which I've got with AFL. Have found the light quality very good. The movement whilst going into corners is subtle but does help during very dark conditions to see the bend of the curve better. At speed they raise slightly to highlight more of the road, which is again sublte but very useful.

Only complaint I have that is that the standard setup is too low. I believe someone else mentioned this in the Astra forum and a the response was to get them adjusted to 0.5 something or other and that made them better without blinding other drivers. However overall very good and much better than the standard lamps, plus you get headlamp washers with the AFL, which you don't with the standards.

Oh, and it is halogen dimmers I believe.

Comment

Standard lights are very good...Xenon on the dipped and mixed Xenon/normal halogen on main beam.

Having driven on all kinds of roads, I don't find I'm at any disadvantage at all not having AFL...even on really dark wet roads with no white lines.

I considered the AFL at first as well....but didn't think the £800 justified them. I just ut that towards the leather pack :wink:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by In a state
        Standard lights are very good...Xenon on the dipped and mixed Xenon/normal halogen on main beam.

Having driven on all kinds of roads, I don't find I'm at any disadvantage at all not having AFL...even on really dark wet roads with no white lines.

I considered the AFL at first as well....but didn't think the £800 justified them. I just ut that towards the leather pack :wink:
        Ta - just what I wanted to hear, got a VXR coming next week on a three day test drive from GM so should be able to check them out myself...thanks again for comments.

Comment

Working...
        X