Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone rate ebc brakes and either yellow or red stuff pads?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone rate ebc brakes and either yellow or red stuff pads?

My brakes are near enough finished so it's time to upgrade or renew! I had ebc disks and red stuff pads on my Saab 2.8 but that was only 255bhp I have a 300+ Vxr now would red stuff pads be ok or would I need yellow? Anyone got any experience with them?

Red stuff = rubbish.
    Yellow stuff = fantastic.

I've got yellow stuff in now with 320+bhp, used them on road and track, can fault them.
    Saab Turbo X 2.8V6T XWD - JZW stage 1 REV 1 - 321bhp 437 ft-lbs / 592NM

Comment

What they like from cold? And what discs you running them with? Yeah I was thinking the reds wouldn't cope!

Comment

I try different pads everytime i need a change on my cars, the last 3 pads ive used are red stuff which i found rubbish when cold and on the road i found it hard to warm them up enough to make them better , yellow stuff ive just changed which still had half a pad left but was very crumbly for some reason. they are much better than red stuff cold/hot but being crumbly concerned me. maybe just a faulty set of pads from day one as martins are fine and they seem popular.

The latest pad ive used is Black diamond predator pads and ive found these to be a big improvement over ebc pads so far but my god they are dusty which is a downside and i did read somewhere that someone only got one track day out of a set but im happy to give anything a try once.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
        Last edited by t0e2s5v8e; 10 March 2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Good from cold yes.

Also look at changing your fluid. ATE super blue or motul rbf 600.
          Saab Turbo X 2.8V6T XWD - JZW stage 1 REV 1 - 321bhp 437 ft-lbs / 592NM

Comment

I had EBC disc's and yellow stuff and hated the set up.

I've got yellow stuff with my K sports now and other than the amount of dust they throw out i can't fault them

Comment

Tried both redstuff and yellowstuff. Currently staying with yellowstuff.

Redstuff- poor when cold which is annoying. Good when warm, but very grabby. They can withstand quite a large amount of heat.
              Yellowstuff- good from cold, get better with heat and you won't manage to overheat the pads. The more heat, the better. Pads give a more progressive brake than redstuff.
              Standard solid discs for pad:disc friction surface area. Grooved discs will give more feel, not more braking power.

As said, change fluid while you're at it. If you're changing pads, it's time to change the fluid. Castrol React Performance Dot 4 is excellent value for money for road use. Dry boiling point is slightly higher than of ATE Super Blue (286°C).

Half of the performance of the Yellowstuff is correct bed in procedure. EBC themselves got it wrong saying they were ready to use straight from the box and then went to change the formula in 2009 under new ownership but the newer formulation isn't as aggressive. You'll need to use the redstuff bed in procedure to cure the yellowstuff slowly, otherwise they're likely to crumble or even part from the backing plate.

Older formulation Yellowstuff, proper bed in, solid discs and Castrol React Performance changed every 2 years or with a change of pads

sigpic
              OPC ةIRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

Comment

How do you bed the yellow ebcs in properly?

Comment

How much brake fluid do I need? I'm looking to change the fluid soon how many litres does the Vectra vxr take?

Comment

Originally posted by Kylestocks View Post
                    How do you bed the yellow ebcs in properly?
                    http://www.ebcgreenstuff.com/EBC%20B...Procedure.html

Originally posted by K1NGVXR View Post
                    How much brake fluid do I need? I'm looking to change the fluid soon how many litres does the Vectra vxr take?
                    1L if you're efficient at bleeding. 2L if you want plenty of space for error
                    sigpic
                    OPC ةIRE- Drop me a PM for Irish meets, group adds etc.

Comment

im on yellowstuff aswell and motul 600 and cant fault them

Comment

Working...
                      X