This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectra VXR Estate Review

The Vectra VXR is available in Arden Blue, Black Sapphire, Flame Red and Star Silver. It features twin trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes – one at either side which creates a balanced and purposeful look, and also reminds those in your wake that they have just been passed by something far more respectful than your average sales-reps mobile office.
    The vehicle I tested was dressed in Black Sapphire paintwork, which complimented the dark-tinted windows. However, this combination did invite several hearse-like references from interested onlookers, although the optional 19-inch alloys fitted to the test car offered a valid counter-argument to the would-be funeral directors we encountered.
    The ‘Sport’ switch was on for most of my test, which had the noticeable effect of firming up the steering, suspension and throttle settings to make for a truly sporty driving experience. I like this feature as it gives you the best of both worlds, allowing for a family-friendly ride when you need it, and more of a sporty experience when you want to make good progress or feel like taking the car around a circuit.
    Optionally available is the CD70 Navigation which features TMC as standard, allowing traffic congestion to be displayed on the map in real time, giving the driver the option of picking another route to avoid the problem. One neat feature is the inclusion of two trip computers, allowing the driver to simultaneously maintain two independent records of mpg, distance, etc.
    The Vectra is very different to any previous performance saloon issued by Vauxhall. With a 255 PS 2.8i V6 24v Turbo engine producing 355 Nm of torque, you get a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds and a maximum speed of 158 mph (6.5 seconds and 161 mph for the Hatchback model). On driving the Vectra, it feels far more like a sports car than a family estate. The seating position feels fantastic – it just feels so controllable.
    The power delivery is instantaneous and constant, with a fantastic growl from the engine that only a tuned V6 could make, nicely complemented with the whistle from the twin-scroll turbocharger. However, sound insulation is so good, you’re likely to only really notice this if the window is down or you’re being overtaken by one.
    This is a quick car - you really do need to keep your eye on the speedometer to ensure your licence doesn’t gain any more typing upon it. It’s just so easy to complete an overtake and find that you’ve done it a bit quicker than you planned.
    The brakes are massive – 345 mm discs on the front and 292 mm on the rear. They do their job well which promotes a tremendous amount of confidence in the car, especially when combined with the ISD-plus and Continuous Damping Control.
    The Recaro seats are extremely comfortable and supportive, and the recent dynamic improvements to the Vectra range are of course present, although considerably amplified by the various VXR components.
    Summary
    There is no doubt that VXR means so much more to a Vauxhall model than just a performance moniker, such as GSi, SRi, etc. It is an ethos that extends to a range of VXR accessory parts, such as body styling accessories, for the more mainstream models.
    The aftermarket VXR parts are, however, not the same as those fitted to production VXR models, although they are of course similar. That guarantees an element of exclusivity. With VXR, the compromise is balanced in the favour of performance rather than a general ‘all-rounder.’ For example, each VXR model comes with a temporary tyre inflation kit rather than a spare wheel - there are no space-saver spare wheels big enough to fit around the front brake discs, and a full-size spare wheel would be too big for the spare wheel well.

When are the first estates due to roll off the production line?
    Just ordered mine last week...and been told 12 weeks!!
    How true is that?
    sigpic

Comment

No idea, we will try to find out for you tommorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by In a state
        When are the first estates due to roll off the production line?
        Just ordered mine last week...and been told 12 weeks!!
        How true is that?
        Just checked, unfortunatly this is about right. First deliverys are expected during March.
        | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

I was speaking with my dealer today and as I have bought their 5 door showroom car, they are now going to order an estate to replace it

Comment

Ta
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X