X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Brakes, Bad Seats ?

Hi Guys,

OK, not everyone does this I know but....

I decided to test my brakes, as you do, at a very reasonable speed .

So, there I was cruising at 70 when I slammed them on. At first I thought wow, these brakes are really cool until a football, a shoe and an empty plastic bottle hit me in the back of the head. My first response was to think that my youngest lad had left them in the back of the car until I turned around and noticed both rear seats were laying flat and the rest of the contents of the boot were all over the place.

I cleared the boot out, replaced the seats, and gave them a big tug to make sure that they were secured properly and off I went again. And, yes, again the seats come flying down.

Is this normal? Doesn't sound too safe if you've got someone in the rear and a bootfull of stuff when you HAVE to slam on.

And by the way I mean "SLAM on" if any of you want to test it for yourselves.

just aswell you didnt have a toolbox or something heavy in the boot,that could of been alot worse,surely something isnt right unless their suppose to do this which i very much doubt
    sigpic

Comment

I have heard somewhere of a rear seat re call, take it to the dealers and explain your not happy, why were you testing the brakes at 70 anyway?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by evologix View Post
        Hi Guys,

OK, not everyone does this I know but....

I decided to test my brakes, as you do, at a very reasonable speed .

So, there I was cruising at 70 when I slammed them on. At first I thought wow, these brakes are really cool until a football, a shoe and an empty plastic bottle hit me in the back of the head. My first response was to think that my youngest lad had left them in the back of the car until I turned around and noticed both rear seats were laying flat and the rest of the contents of the boot were all over the place.

I cleared the boot out, replaced the seats, and gave them a big tug to make sure that they were secured properly and off I went again. And, yes, again the seats come flying down.

Is this normal? Doesn't sound too safe if you've got someone in the rear and a bootfull of stuff when you HAVE to slam on.

And by the way I mean "SLAM on" if any of you want to test it for yourselves.
        Don't think mine produces enough retardation to throw the seats forward... Certainly nowhere near as much force as i could produce by pulling on them.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by evyboy View Post
          I have heard somewhere of a rear seat re call, take it to the dealers and explain your not happy, why were you testing the brakes at 70 anyway?
          Just checked the AA recall site. The only mention is a rear seat belt recall for torque adjustment. Looking at the clamps they don't seem to cover the bars unless I slam the seat closed.

Comment

Mine are exactly the same, and I will be mentioning this at the next service. I can pull both rears down without pressing the buttons. I've had a look but I dont think it's just a greasing issue, and they will not click into place even if slammed.

Comment

I really have to slam the back seats to ensure that they lock in place, otherwise I get a rattle in the back and they to would also fall down if I was to try braking hard from 70.
              DAP Springs, EDS Precat decat, TD 1.2, Quaife diff, mapped, RSS Lightweight Clutch - Job done!

Comment

Same here... back seats fall forward if braking very hard

Comment

On the top of the seat where the lever bit is look to see if you have a red piece of plastic showing in the slidey bit (yes I know its technical sounding) if you have, then the seat is not latched correctly.

I only know this as I couldn't figure out why my seat would move on my Vectras. The slamming force to put them back secure is quite considerable.

Stu

Comment

I'll second that...you need a fair bit of force to get them to lock.
                    sigpic

Comment

No problems here,

Been doing hard breaking from well above 100mph (to clear the discs a bit
                      No rear seats joined me

On the other way around my mobile phone took a journey from the front to the back seat floor on acceleration but that´s an other story.

Comment

You really do have to slam the rear seats.

Comment

ive got mine ajusted with my dealer but GM said that they are made like that and you have to slam them hard to lock and if you dont do that they will come down when braking hard.....

Comment

Problem sorted, thanks. Gave them a good slam and both seats now locked. No idea why so much force needed though, bit of a poor design if you ask me as i've never had problem with any other car.

Comment

yep mines the same as well need a good slam

Comment

Working...
                              X