X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum gear changes...?

Hi,

If I was thinking of really launching the car off the line plus continuing to kick it upto the legal speed limit ;-) what tips can you guys offer....?

Is there an optimum revs figure that is best to gear shift at to not lose momentum...?

Thanks.

SJ.

i mite get corrected here but, i fink it wil all depend ur motor, ave got mine mapped, n ave been told 2try n keep it in the "power band"(where the torque figures are nice n high), which is jus over 5k on mine. not sure how or if these levels vary on standard cars!!

i fink as long as u dont over 6k it ul b fine mate!!
    Originally posted by VXR Staff
    Billy junior is the future...

Right off to see if the scythe is needed or not

Comment

Yip if its mapped, change between 5k and 6k, for a spirited boyracer destroyer
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by evyboy View Post
        Yip if its mapped, change between 5k and 6k, for a spirited boyracer destroyer
        Not mapped it. Spend 95% of my time on motorways at 70mph ;-) so never bothered as couldnt see the point of spending a load of money for no real gain.

Same rev range for standard car....?

What about off the line.....?

Cheers,

SJ

Comment

Throw it into the red then, lol
          Kiddin on, emm im not sure then mate, i got mine mapped shortly after buying it buddy,
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by black_vectra_vxr View Post
            Not mapped it. Spend 95% of my time on motorways at 70mph ;-) so never bothered as couldnt see the point of spending a load of money for no real gain.

Same rev range for standard car....?

What about off the line.....?

Cheers,

SJ
            the best fing i can reccomend is, GET IT MAPPED!!!
            honestly mate, a was well happy way the power a had, then evyboy told me bout the powr gains achieveable from a simple map, traveled down 2 thorneys from glasgow, nearly 6hours, n was well worth it. that was over 2month ago n ma jaws are still sore from smilin so hard every time i hit the throttle!! people say improved mpg wen mapped, ave not noticed that tho, a dont see 6k as a limit, i see it as a target!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by W28LLY View Post
              the best fing i can reccomend is, GET IT MAPPED!!!
              honestly mate, a was well happy way the power a had, then evyboy told me bout the powr gains achieveable from a simple map, traveled down 2 thorneys from glasgow, nearly 6hours, n was well worth it. that was over 2month ago n ma jaws are still sore from smilin so hard every time i hit the throttle!! people say improved mpg wen mapped, ave not noticed that tho, a dont see 6k as a limit, i see it as a target!!!!
              I know I must have the only un-mapped Vec in the country but I just can't see what I will gain from it apart from the very rare time I get to play. If I am lucky thats once a month, often less than that.

At 70mph on the M1/M6/M40/M23/M4/M3/M5 etc etc (much less during my 10hrs+ a week on the M25) what am I going to gain from having it mapped....?

SJ.

Comment

I know I must have the only un-mapped Vec in the country but I just can't see what I will gain from it apart from the very rare time I get to play. If I am lucky thats once a month, often less than that.

At 70mph on the M1/M6/M40/M23/M4/M3/M5 etc etc (much less during my 10hrs+ a week on the M25) what am I going to gain from having it mapped....?

SJ.
                u wil gain the fact knowin u hav a 300bhp+ car with more torque than concorde had!!!!! naw, fair enuf mate, a can see where ur comin from, but for that wee bit of fun drivin u do get a chance 2 hav, ud love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by W28LLY View Post
                  u wil gain the fact knowin u hav a 300bhp+ car with more torque than concorde had!!!!!
                  I will gain in my wallet knowing I havent got a 300BHP car etc.....! LOL

Comment

I will gain in my wallet knowing I havent got a 300BHP car etc.....! LOL
                    very true mate, fair enough

Comment

i like to push mine to 7000RPM in 2 gear and when i am shifting to 3 gear my car runs 120KM/H....

Comment

Originally posted by hapsdoggen View Post
                        i like to push mine to 7000RPM in 2 gear and when i am shifting to 3 gear my car runs 120KM/H....
                        Isnt 7k revs outside the "power band...."

Comment

Jalfrezigazee had some program or macro that worked out optimum gear ratios for 1/4 mile runs in his Astra (The benefits of doing some work at an F1 team)

Astra

Comment

Isnt 7k revs outside the "power band...."
                            not in mine ive got my RPM limited moved to 7000RPM and speed limited moved to 300KM/H when i got it remapped.....

and it goes 300KM/H on the road....

Comment

SJ.
                              Does beg the question why you're driving a VXR as a motorway hack? I hope you're not paying for the petrol!

Comment

Working...
                              X