This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winters On Its way

Hello again chaps had the car a while now and still love it question is what are they like with snow and ice i had a cupra r before the vectra and that was pretty bad in the cold stuff. So what or how bad is it going to be and do any of you go for winter tyres..

This was the result of my last trip in the snow

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...view=slideshow

...and this was Macca's

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40007

Comment

the same as any other car on 19 inch alloys

The greater the size of the alloy = the greater the size of the contact patch and thus the less pressure on the ground underneath that alloy

Best tyre in the snow would ideally be something about 13 inches with a tiny thin width, but nothing under about 18" will clear the brakes safely.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLOL View Post
        the same as any other car on 19 inch alloys

The greater the size of the alloy = the greater the size of the contact patch and thus the less pressure on the ground underneath that alloy

Best tyre in the snow would ideally be something about 13 inches with a tiny thin width, but nothing under about 18" will clear the brakes safely.
        19" and summer tyres not smart....

18" and some good winter tyres you are driving good...

Comment

thats probably the best idea - do what they do on the continent.

Get yourself a set of 18" alloys from a vectra SRI. Should be some on ebay from people upgrading to 19s etc.. and fit a set of winter tyres to it. Will improve the grip in the sub zero temperatures considerably. Our summer tyres are only really rated suitable to about 6 degrees i think.

Lower than that, ideally you should be using winter tyres. But obviously you have to weight up how many days we have were the temperature never goes above 5 degrees. Not many ..

Comment

Agreed
            I have 18's and the car is Pants in the snow
            So winter tyres would be ideal
            sigpic
            More than 34,900 viewings and counting
            Click Here to.................
            See My Wheels
            See My Wife's EX Wheels now Sold

Comment

Working...
            X