This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as much as i love my bus ...

i think it is deffo an ex girlfriend come back to haunt me and is really testing my patience !!

for some of the old skool members on here .. you will know the problems ive had in the past ..

latest to the list ..

ive had a farting noise coming from the front of the engine for a while and although it disappears once its warm i have become so paranoid over any noise it needed to be seen to !! .. so i took it into vauxhall this morning fearing it was gonna be the turbo or a cracked manifold .. meaning my 5th turbo .. relieved to find out it wasnt .. turns out one of the head bolts has come loose behind the heatshield .. however .. as they went to tighten it .. yep .. its gone and snapped .. meaning now .. the head has to come off and has to be sent away to have the leftovers drilled out !! .. on the plus side .. i can get all my belts changed in the process and will whip a cool running thermo in there !! .. just not looking forward to the bill at the end of it !!

anyone have any idea's of how much the belt kits can be picked up for aswell as the head gasket kit ??

also is there anything else worth getting whilst its all off ??
    Last edited by fatboyateallthepies; 21 August 2010, 01:35 PM.
    sigpic
    www.thevenuelondon.com / www.myspace.com/fatboyateallthepies
    the owner of the first zaffy detailed by vxrmarc and also the owner of the first bus sm'd by vxrcourt3

Sorry to hear that pal

Autovaux tend to do good prices for the kits, think doing the water pump is one worth doing whilst the belts are being done

Astra

Comment

im trying to think all i need to complete the job .. so far i can think of ..

cam belt
      thermostat
      head bolts
      head gasket set
      water pump (thanks ian !)

obviously need head skimmed and bolt drilled out !!

anything else ??
      sigpic
      the owner of the first zaffy detailed by vxrmarc and also the owner of the first bus sm'd by vxrcourt3

Comment

and autovaux didnt seem to list vxr parts !!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyateallthepies View Post
          and autovaux didnt seem to list vxr parts !!
          mattbibs will be able to get you some good prices - I'm sure autovaux can do the kits, I'd drop them an email as well

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
            mattbibs will be able to get you some good prices - I'm sure autovaux can do the kits, I'd drop them an email as well
            yeah ive emailed mr matt and have pointed him in the right direction !!
            sigpic

Comment

here you go

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Timing-...-Pumps-c-1866/

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Engine-Gaskets-c-2809/

or you could try autovaux
              my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

Prices seem ok - water pump is pennies really isn' t it

Astra

Comment

sorry to hear this mate ur having just as much trouble as im having chin up though we love our zaffys no matter what
                  www.themarkwrightproject.org.uk
                  www.combatstress.org.uk

Comment

Prices seem ok - water pump is pennies really isn' t it

they do indeed .. silly question really .. but is there any difference in having these to oe parts ??
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyateallthepies View Post
                      they do indeed .. silly question really .. but is there any difference in having these to oe parts ??
                      From LMF/Autovaux the parts are usually GM OEM

Astra

Comment

so ..

thermostat (courtenays) £24.50
                        water pump (lmf) £23.00
                        timing belt kit (lmf) £77.95
                        head gasket set and head bolts (lmf) £69.95

so far coming out just shy of two hundred notes !!

how much do u think it costs to drill the bolt out and skim the head etc etc .. then i just need to work out the labour !!

is it worth getting some nice shiney rocker cover bolts aswell ??
                        sigpic

Comment

From LMF/Autovaux the parts are usually GM OEM
                          clears that one up then !!
                          sigpic

Comment

isnt vauxhalls labour 60-80 quid an hour?

if i had my other laptop which has tis i could have given you a rought idea on how long it takes to take the head off.

id say about an hour to drill the stud out.

all depends on who skims the head as prices do differ quite about..

i dont think you'll have much change out of 500-700 quid. maybe more
                            my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

Originally posted by sandyVXR View Post
                              isnt vauxhalls labour 60-80 quid an hour?

if i had my other laptop which has tis i could have given you a rought idea on how long it takes to take the head off.

id say about an hour to drill the stud out.

all depends on who skims the head as prices do differ quite about..

i dont think you'll have much change out of 500-700 quid. maybe more
                              a good friend of mine works at vauxhall .. so he is gonna strip it down on my drive and send the head off !! .. so labour wont be to drastic !! .. just all depends on the price of the head work !!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X