This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zafira burning smell

Can anyone help with my problem? when driving my Zafira and the air con is on when I stop in traffic a burning smell enters the vehicle, also if its left idle smoke appears from both exhaust pipes. Ive been back to my dealer who tried to be as helpful as possible, but have no positive answers, they told me that it could be the vehicle still in its "running in period" or it could be where the air cond unit it mounted above the exhaust manifold condensation is dripping onto it and burning, Ive checked the oil levels which are all ok............my vehicle has done 6,000 miles, any suggestions?.....

Get them to check the seal on the exhaust at the turbo. Heard some can leak at tad at times. Is the smoke from exhaust blue or just white. If its white not a prob if blue get them to look at it again.

Comment

Re: zafira burning smell

I have a Zaf VXR and have the same problem, When I pull up at lights or junctions I get a burning smell that enters the car, to me it smells like burning oil. I took it to my dealers and a mechanic took it down the road and back and said it was excess wax under the car and told me it should burn off itself and its because the car is new. I have done just short of 3000 miles now and I'm still getting the smell. I changed the oil myself to fully synthetic at 2500 miles to see if that made any difference and also had a look for any leaks but couldn't see anything although the sump has got excess wax that is burning off and has gone flakey. Let me know if you get a root cause of the problem.
      Regards.
      Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmonkey
        I have a Zaf VXR and have the same problem, When I pull up at lights or junctions I get a burning smell that enters the car, to me it smells like burning oil. I took it to my dealers and a mechanic took it down the road and back and said it was excess wax under the car and told me it should burn off itself and its because the car is new. I have done just short of 3000 miles now and I'm still getting the smell. I changed the oil myself to fully synthetic at 2500 miles to see if that made any difference and also had a look for any leaks but couldn't see anything although the sump has got excess wax that is burning off and has gone flakey. Let me know if you get a root cause of the problem.
        Regards.
        Ian.
        Further to the above comment I have since been back to my dealers because the smell was still present at times. They had another look aswell as me mentioning the turbo seal may be suspect and they ordered me a complete new turbo, turbo gasket, turbo pipe, oil pipe oh and two headlamps because I told them I had seen condensation in them.
        It needs to be in for 1 1/2 - 2 days because this is a big job !!!!!
        I have put little secret marks on various parts incase they try and bluff me. It goes in tomorrow (Thursday) so hopefully all goes well. Fair do's to vauxhall they don't moan when it comes to warranty jobs and replace more than necessary to make sure the jobs done right or is this because they don't know the exact cause ????? I have heard of people getting complete replacement engines under warranty because of minor faults that they can't find a root cause for.

Comment

Regards.
          Ian.
          Further to the above comment I have since been back to my dealers because the smell was still present at times. They had another look aswell as me mentioning the turbo seal may be suspect and they ordered me a complete new turbo, turbo gasket, turbo pipe, oil pipe oh and two headlamps because I told them I had seen condensation in them.
          It needs to be in for 1 1/2 - 2 days because this is a big job !!!!!
          I have put little secret marks on various parts incase they try and bluff me. It goes in tomorrow (Thursday) so hopefully all goes well. Fair do's to vauxhall they don't moan when it comes to warranty jobs and replace more than necessary to make sure the jobs done right or is this because they don't know the exact cause ????? I have heard of people getting complete replacement engines under warranty because of minor faults that they can't find a root cause for.
          Got car back this afternoon and all is well, they have changed everything they said they would. The car performs better than ever now, wether this is because of the new turbo or just a drop in the outside temperature I don't know but I aint complaining, It goes like stink....

Comment

Good news mate,
            they really are great cars!

Comment

Working...
            X