X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD/Monitors in Headrests

Has anyone retrofitted these?

If so any pics and how did you do it please!

I fitted a set to my Zafira - had them fitted by a pal who runs a trimming firm - used veba units. Wired the sound using a wired FM modulator particularly as the kids can listen through the rear twin audio system - ah peace! DVD player is in the glovebox - quite straightforward really. Will be fitting the unit to a CID unit in the front today so can post this up later if I finish it!

Marc

Comment

Wow that looks awesome, can you enlighten me as to approximate cost?

What's a CID box?!

Comment

It costs me £100 to have the 2 screens fitted into the headrests. I wired the system together and fed the cables from the headrests through the seats.

The CID is the Colour Information Display - its the colour screen used on the CD70 Nav system that I've had fitted to replace the GID - Graphic Information Display - that came with the CDC40 I have in the Zafira. I've finally obtained a unit that interfaces to the colour screen and is able to display DVD output so the Mrs can watch too.

I've got it all working this afternoon but I have wires everywhere!!

When its all back together again I'll post some pictures.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by mjellison1a
          It costs me £100 to have the 2 screens fitted into the headrests. I wired the system together and fed the cables from the headrests through the seats.

The CID is the Colour Information Display - its the colour screen used on the CD70 Nav system that I've had fitted to replace the GID - Graphic Information Display - that came with the CDC40 I have in the Zafira. I've finally obtained a unit that interfaces to the colour screen and is able to display DVD output so the Mrs can watch too.

I've got it all working this afternoon but I have wires everywhere!!

When its all back together again I'll post some pictures.

Marc
          That sounds wicked! look forward to seeing more pics!

Comment

dvd'd in headrests.

what size are the screens ?

does the wiring go through the seat and down the back...

also is it then run under the carpet to the glovbox.

thanks

Comment

The screens are Veba AV580MB units (5.8") and yes I ran the cabling down the back and side of the seats, then under the seats, under the central console and finally into the glovebox.

I used the supplied Veba cabling which made it very simple - the hardest part was getting the cabling down the back of the seats and clear of the airbags - ended up using a coat-hanger!

I've now got it all working on the front screen now - have a look at this link

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...7360a20beff4d0

Marc

Comment

those sceens look great have been thinking about doing this for a while now how much were the sceens mate

Comment

I bought the veba units from Motorworld as they were the cheapest prices at the time for the units I was after - the largest size that I felt would suit the VXR headrests. I think they were about £130 each when I bought them last year - try here:

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/category.php?sub_cat_id=11

Marc

Comment

I was going to do this, but you can only get away with 5.6" screens in the headrests.

also my mate had his headrests nicked by diskheads (spelt wrong so's not to get into trouble) from his car and they just cut the wires for him.

I have put a xbox in mine, I have had to mount the hard drive with supension and it seems to work well.

It read the films on the hard drive and games using Evox... (backup of originals of course.).

I opted for headrest brackets from maplins and 7.5" widescreen thin TV's....

I will take a photo later but, you can move them from middle row to back,

take out the screens when required...

Take them with you when on holiday camping hotel room etc.

the Brackets fold out of the way when not in use but easily come off the headrest if required.

using a video sender I send the video from the xbox to the screens so there is not alot of wiring to do under the floor etc.

I know its not the neatest job i.e mounted in the headrest but, it leaves the car in tact when sold and you can take it with you to either sell on or fit to another vehical.

hat off to mjellison1a as it looks very nice, but I decided rightly or wrongly that the theft and versitility of the removable screens was a better option for me.

as long as it keeps the kids happy.

anything for a quiet life.

Comment

I had concerns on the theft issue but with the tints on the VXR you can hardly see the units and I was really after a fully fitted look.

I hadn't considered being able to take the units out and use them elsewhere. I was at the time just after some peace and quiet in the back on long journeys.

The funniest part is when the kids talk to us when they have the twin audio headphones on - they end up shouting!

It's absolute bliss and now the passenger can watch too!

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by mjellison1a
                        The screens are Veba AV580MB units (5.8") and yes I ran the cabling down the back and side of the seats, then under the seats, under the central console and finally into the glovebox.

I used the supplied Veba cabling which made it very simple - the hardest part was getting the cabling down the back of the seats and clear of the airbags - ended up using a coat-hanger!

I've now got it all working on the front screen now - have a look at this link

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...7360a20beff4d0

Marc
                        Marc, do you know whether or not it would be possibe to use a video sender with your set-up rather than hard wire the screens through to the head unit, its just that I like the "fully fitted look" but didn't fancy getting the coat hanger out!

regards,

Flinty

regards

Comment

Marc, do you know whether or not it would be possibe to use a video sender with your set-up rather than hard wire the screens through to the head unit, its just that I like the "fully fitted look" but didn't fancy getting the coat hanger out!
                          I think not - My understanding is that you'll still need to get the video output from the video receiver units connected to the screens and I guess that these won't fit in the headrests along with screens and unless they are RF units they will need like of sight to the transmitter unit. You'll still have to provide power to the screens and that's got to come from somewhere so it's pretty much a job of cables down the seats as far as I can see if you want a fitted look.

You could of course just fit screen brackets to the headrest columns and run cables loose on the outside of the seat but again hardly the fitted option in my opinion.

I believe Sony made screen units that were wireless and integrated with one of their indash DVD players but that'll require swapping out the Vauxhall head unit and again not the OEM fitted outcome, though an option.

Honestly, it's not that difficult getting the cables down the seats, the 'coat hanger' approach merely makes the passing of the cables down the seat that much easier as its impossible to get a whole arm in! Sounds worse that it is in practice! Be bold!

The decison is yours!

Marc

Comment

thanks, forgot you need some power :? I am right in assuming that you have to make a hole in the top of the seat to feed the cable through? & does the cable run down the back or the side please?

Comment

I didn't have to make a hole in the seat – on each seat I popped out one of the seat plastic fittings that the headrest columns slot into and using a round file, made a small recess, the same diameter as the screen cable, 4-5mm, on the top outside rear part of the fitting.

This allowed the cable to neatly slot into the seat and disappear from view when the headrest was placed back on the seat.

I did initially try and get the cable down the headrest column but found the tube in the seat was blocked at the end and didn’t fancy drilling a whole in it and concerned not to affect the ‘active headrest’ – however they worked?!?

Happy to post a picture later today to explain it a bit better?

Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X