This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Drive, the results!

Well we had a test drive yesterday, the local dealer weas really helpful and allowed us to use the car for 4 hours!

It ended with my wife on the forecourt in tears! No she didn't prang it, in fact she loved the car to bits but......

She just can not get on with the blind spot due to the A pillar. She's 5'3 so needs the seat relatively low for pedals etc and just finds the pillar to obtrusive. She loved every other part of the car although thought the design of the wheels was a bit "flowery"! She said she would probably prefer the design of the 19's.

Comments on the car from us were:
    • Front Cupholders - Where are they!?!
    • Storage space was surprisingly limited, no dash or roof mounted storage boxes
    • Area where there should be an armrest looked to be filled with a tacky afterthought peice of rubber!
    • Torx screw heads showing all round the car, eg sunvisors, in roof where there are fixings to secure loads etc
    • Goes like stink!
    • Handles like a car
    • Recaro's really comfortable but lacked lumbar support
    • Ride was exceptionally good was expecting to be much harsher
    • Liked the chunky steering wheel
    • Loading was very good and we still managed to get the buggy in the boot with all 7 seats up
    • Back row of seats very usable

I'm sure there's loads more points but my wife is so angry with herself because she loves the car so much but needs to get past that blind spot. We haven't ruled it out but need to drive it again, doesn't need to be a VXR though as all Zafira's obviously have the same blind spot.......

Try the Meriva VXR, I know its not a 7 seater but really worth a look. The A pillar is not so far forward and since the facelift the trim has altered. Gives go performance, adjustable steering and seat etc but doe snot have fore and aft adjustment on the column. Also a real hoot to drive. Performance is not too far short of the Zafira on acceleration, more precise at handling and wait till the remaps come!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
      Try the Meriva VXR, I know its not a 7 seater but really worth a look. The A pillar is not so far forward and since the facelift the trim has altered. Gives go performance, adjustable steering and seat etc but doe snot have fore and aft adjustment on the column. Also a real hoot to drive. Performance is not too far short of the Zafira on acceleration, more precise at handling and wait till the remaps come!!!
      Thanks for the info, however we really want the 7 seat option otherwise we may as well live with the Golf

Comment

well my wife if 4' 8", she can drive it fine....

you need to look around the a pillar who ever you are, 4' to 6'5 Its a feature that is needed to stop the roof collapsing on you if you turn it over....

not alot you can do, you will get used to it, but its quite off putting at first.

persivere, its the only fast M-MPV on the market, it handles like a hot hatch not a normal car, you have not pushed it, it just digs in and goes around the corners.

once you are used to it you could upset anyone who is not used to it in the passenger seat, the traction is great, not the intrusive, but keep the car going around the corner.

the front cup holder is just behind the handbrake, there is quite a bit of storage down by the front seats, if you want more then go for the design as they have underseat pull out drawers.

fixings are in the back under the carpet by the boot lid, and byt the middle set of seats when you push them forward, a net type arrangement could be used like in my A6 i used to have.

you can buy the flex organiser to completely sort things out.

try another test drive if you can look around the a-pillars as I have to do and I am 5'11", only when coming to junctions or mini roundabouts.

let us know how you get on but if it ain't for you, then it ain't for you.

good luck with a car search.

Comment

To be honest, it would be something she would get used to quite easily.

She'll have to concentrate a bit at first, but in time I'm sure it will be fine!!
          Sold - Arden Blue Astra VXR on 19's
          Ordered - Pure White Golf GTI on 18's (couldn't stomach paying for 19" tyres any more!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gnasher
            To be honest, it would be something she would get used to quite easily.

She'll have to concentrate a bit at first, but in time I'm sure it will be fine!!
            I think she knows that but wants to be happy 100% with the car we choose as we plan on keeping it a few years.

This is the only thing stopping us at the mo!

Comment

Gotta say the dealer is going far above our expectations, he's offered to allows us to use the VXR for an entire day to see how we get on, can't say fairer than that!

Comment

Fair shout....

you should know by the end of that extended test drive then.

Comment

I used to have a 2004 Golf GTI, but you do get used to the 'A' piller on the Zafira quite quickly, you just have to get used to moving your head around a little more ..... after a week or 2, you won't really notice it, well, I don't. I found it harder to get used to the indicators, especially on the motorways when i wanted to pull out ..... kept on indicating the other way when I wanted to cancel ..... but again, you get used to them.

Comment

did you get the car for the day ??

Comment

Originally posted by itolson
                      did you get the car for the day ??
                      We are still to arrange it, trouble is trying to find a day when we are both able to be around for the whole day! We're going up to Birmingham for the weekend this weekend so might see if we can blag it for that!

Comment

Just to remind you. its now not the only fast mpv around....the 2.5 turbo s-max is very nice, very fast and handles very well and VBH prefered it to the vxr. But once i can find the spec I want I will be purchasing a Zafira VXR.

Darren

Comment

It ain't the fastest though, not a bad alternative, although it lacks spoilers etc, i.e it does not look agressive enough for me!

The option required to get it upto spec are expensive as well...

still if your a ford kind of guy then its a good family mans wagon.

Comment

After much deliberation we have now decided against the VXR Zaf. Restricted vsiability was the main reason although after considering the access to the last row of seats when you have child seats on the bench seat this was also against the car.

It's not overly sporty and it's a different beast but we have decised to go for a 2.0 TDi Touran, will be having it remapped and lowered. Once that is done we'll make a choice on some nice wheels. Just gotta find the right one now!

Thanks for all your support and help here.

Comment

Originally posted by MORTYST222
                              Just to remind you. its now not the only fast mpv around....the 2.5 turbo s-max is very nice, very fast and handles very well and VBH prefered it to the VXR. But once i can find the spec I want I will be purchasing a Zafira VXR.

Darren
                              Had a run in with one of these tonight, can't understand what all the fuss is or should I say was about, handled quite well, quite quick, but not a match for the VXR

Comment

Working...
                              X